BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................PIED FLYCATCHER ABBEYSTEAD 24 APRIL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 6 March 2022

Asio flammeus

I joined the merry band of owl enthusiasts at Conder Green on Friday to have excellent views of a Short-eared Owl which has been at Conder Pool since it was first recorded seven days ago on 27 February. 

The wings of the Short-eared Owl are proportionately the longest of any owl in the Western Palearctic, and when I first viewed this bird through the telescope, I noticed its right wing was hanging limp, but it lifted it to preen briefly, and soon took off to hunt when it appeared to have no problems, it was able to bank and make swift turns as it hunted as can be seen in the video.

View Full Screen

As I arrived at Conder Green, c.250 Black-tailed Godwit had been on Conder Pool, but up to 200 had taken off to leave and flew towards the Lune Estuary. It was good to see the arrival of 3 Avocet back on the pool. Also noted were, a few Wigeon and Tufted Duck with a lone female Goldeneye.

My visit to Cockersand was unremarkable, there was no show from the  Stonechats - probably back in Bowland by now - or Snow Bunting, though later I saw a report of the long staying bunting on the coastal path, in the FBC sightings page. There was a marked decrease in the number of swans, which now stands at no more than 200 Whooper Swan, with no search for anything accompanying them distantly. As the tide was rising, 3 Snipe came off the marsh.

On the circuit, it was good to hear the Skylark heralding early signs of spring, and Lapwing thinking of taking up territories in the fields, with 2 Kestrel hovering over the Caravan Park and Crook Farm, 52 Golden Plover were in a field to the north of Abbey Farm, and three large groups eventually formed up to 3,000 Starling.

Raven Cockersand 4 March. Pete Woodruff.

Four Raven off the headland flew by me close in at eye level. Zooming in on them, Heysham power station looks like it is on the shore at Plover Scar, Cockersand Abbey is on my right out of shot.

With too much water on the ebbing tide on the Lune Estuary at Glasson, 225 Black-tailed Godwit, and 70 Bar-tailed Godwit noted, with 550 Wigeon and 3 Goosander seen.     

On my way home to Lancaster four hours laterI called back to Conder Pool to have a second helping of the SEO, but finding the viewing platform crammed to the rafters, I abandoned the idea, thankful for my first sighting of this beautiful creature....Happy Owl Days!

Many Thanks to Paul Murphy for his excellent image of the SEO on Conder Pool Friday 4 March.  

2 comments:

  1. A brief visit, Pete, as I'm away at the moment. I very much enjoyed your SEO clip. It has not been a good winter for them locally, but I'm hoping for good sightings in the summer in the Outer Hebrides.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked the Snow Bunting clip Pete.
    Had my first butterfly (Small Tortoiseshell) in my garden on 27th February and a few days later what I believed was a Comma passed quickly through.
    First moths now starting to appear in my trap, the usual suspects i.e. Hebrew Character, Clouded Drab, Small Quaker and Common Quaker up to now.

    Best regards Ian

    ReplyDelete