BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................PLOVER SCAR LIGHT AND BLACK COMBE OVER THE BAY PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 22 January 2023

Better Late Than Never....Part 3.

Apologies for the title, I know it's becoming a little boring and repetitive, but apart from the fact it has been another week since I got some birding done, it saves me scratching my head for another one, and in any case, if I'd have known what was in store for me when I finally did get out again on Friday, I'd never have coped with the excitement....after all I always was easily pleased!


Even if the footage is a bit of jelly on a plate stuff, the Chiffchaff at Conder Pool - although busy and difficult to keep up to - was a delight out in the open and at close range. 

Kingfisher Conder Pool. Pete Woodruff.

Also on the pool, a Kingfisher came on to the outlet for around 5 secs, looked at me behind the viewing screen and promptly flew off, also a lone Little Grebe to note. A drake Pochard is only the second one I have seen on Conder Pool, and seen as nothing better than a rare breeder and declining winter visitor in the Leighton Moss area and Pine Lake, scarce anywhere else. Todays drake Pochard was probably the canal basin individual of late having a trip out.

Lune Estuary Looking To Clougha And The Bowland Fells. Pete Woodruff.

With too much water at near high tide, I collect just a few notes on the Lune Estuary at Glasson. At least 700 Dunlin is a best and low personal count here this winter, 2 drake Goldeneye, 4 Goosander and 3 Little Grebe, 50 Pink-footed Geese were on Colloway Marsh, almost certainly more out of view.

At Cockersand, up to 220 Curlew and a even mix of up to 100 Redwing and Fieldfare in the same field, 14 Greenfinch, 5 Wren and a Song Thrush. Three small groups totaling 12 Snipeup off the marsh and calling in flight sounding like a muffled sneeze.


Six Stonechat seen today at Cockersand, these two were on the spoil heaps, a pair on Slack Lane by Lighthouse Cottage, and a pair in the rough field by Bank Houses, from where I saw a ringtail Hen Harrier, and later saw it on a return flight but was obstructed by the hedgerow for good views.

As I rounded the path at Lighthouse Cottage, a female Merlin shot by me a little more than a foot above the marsh. AC who I met later confirmed he had seen the bird 15 minutes after me, and had excellent views as it perched on a telegraph pole along Slack Lane.

I had good views of the Black Redstart along the shore south of the abbey, a stunning little bird in some excellent sunlight, and from where up to 300 Whooper Swan could be seen mainly inaccessible at Thursland Hill, but including c.50 on a drive past at the Thurnham end of Moss Lane.

Garden Birds.

The birds served us well yesterday when a male Blackcap spent a little time on the feeders, then one hour later a Chiffchaff made the day by searching the plants for insects a metre outside the patio window. This bird/another visited us on 20 September 2022.

And Finally.

I received some excellent images of an Otter seen this week for which I was truly grateful, it was seen in the east of our area. I also had a good count of 15 Brown Hare during the week at an undisclosed location.

Otter 19 January. Copy Permitted.

With six Stonechat at Cockersand and much more, a bit of birding magic for me on Friday....What next I ask myself!

6 comments:

  1. Wow what a day you had!!
    You have really made up for lost time with all these birds, what a diverse range of species.
    Glad to see so many different birds around the Cockersands area.
    Wonder if your Black Redstart was the same one that I saw at the caravan site end car parking area?
    Thanks for all the info it is quite uplifting to hear that there is so much about to see.

    Stay safe and warm

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome list of birds Pete. A few there I would like to see more regularly. Take care.

    Marc Heath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian....Can't say two birds at Cockersand unless/until we get simultaneous sightings. The longer this bird stays, the more I lean towards just the one which regularly ranges from Cockersand Abbey - probably even Lighthouse Cottage - to the Caravan Park.

    Glad you find the info uplifting and useful Ian.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you here Marc. You also see birds I wish I could see more regularly, even some I might never see.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greatly impressed by your sightings this day, Pete. You're making me get ideas about visiting that area sometime. You also get dragons in summer that I'd like to see. I must give it some serious thought! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly must get up north this summer Richard, don't forget to let me know when. There are lots of places, birds and dragons I'd love to show you.

    Regards to yourself and Lindsay, and look forward to seeing you later in the year!

    ReplyDelete