BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 15 January 2023

Better Late Than Never....Part 2.

Another week has gone by before I got only my second days birding for 2023, but having failed to carry out the plan to do a wander around Cockersand - wind and rain put paid to that idea - I did locate a pair of Stonechat on their winter favoured pitch in the rough field behind Bank Houses, so good enough to compensate my early retirement.

On the Lune Estuary at Glasson, there was a relatively small gathering of waders on the south side including a Ruff with uncounted Bar-tailed Godwit, Redshank, Knot, Lapwing and Curlew. A drake Red-breasted Merganser isn't to be as regarded regular here, with 4 Goosander and up to 250 Wigeon.

I have no idea where the Golden Plover are/have been on the Lune Estuary so far this winter. My personal best count was at Braides 31 October, when I saw 1,500 birds, and other best counts I can find on the Lune Estuary, didn't quite match this number.


Two Greenshank can be seen on the left through the gloom on Conder Pool with 5 Goosander, also a Little Grebe, and 52 Mallard was the best count in some time here. In the creeks, c,150 Teal and 2 Little Grebe.

Greylag Geese/Whooper Swans. Howard Stockdale.

Howard sent me the image of a Greylag he found recently, I also found one last Friday in the same field. Howards bird was marked HVX, whilst mine was HVK. When I received this image I had thought perhaps I had made an error in the reading - X misread as K - but on making enquiries with Howard I understand HVK had also been seen in the area recently. Both the geese had been ringed age 4 years, at Millerground, Windermere, 26 June 2022.

Brilliant Brents.

Across The Bay

I could think of nothing better this afternoon, than a walk along the promenade to Heysham to find 48 Brent Geese off the children's play area.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry you have not been getting out much but the weather has been pretty grim most of the time.

    Glad you found the Brent Geese. I was also walking on the prom near The Cliffs this afternoon, but purely in a walking capacity to try and enjoy the bright day.

    Interesting about the Grey Lag Geese their numbers seem to be going up in all areas but they have stayed fairly local if just from Windermere.

    Hoping for a better week ahead.

    Stay warm - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the Brents are on the skear they are camouflaged and aren't easy to locate. I'm also looking for a better week weather-wise.

    Always appreciate your looking in and comments Ian.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One dark bellied in with them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I did see that one too....I think the appropriate Thank You for this, is addressed to PJM.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may not be getting out as much as you would like to, Pete, but you're doing infinitely better than I am, both with number of visits out and number/quality of birds seen. Sadly, other than an hour and a half out on 5th January where the sum total of birds seen other than Blackbirds, House Sparrows, and Great Tits, was four Redwing, my previous birding outing was on 25th November. However, I'm pleased to report that Lindsay's recovery is now making progress and I'm hoping that I'll be able to leave her unattended for two or three hours sometime soon - weather permitting!

    Another encouraging post from you - thank you. Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear of the lack of outings, but delighted to hear of the progress made by Lindsey, please pass on to her my Best Wishes for continuing good health.

    Thanks for the 'encouraging post' comment Richard, it was very rewarding.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete