BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 10 December 2023

....And A Raptor To Boot!!

My visit started at Conder Pool....well where else.

There were 87 Wigeon present, with 9 Little Grebe, and a lone Snipe. A Roe Deer in the long grasses at the east end of the pool represents a first record for me on Conder Pool. 

The good number of 345 geese on Conder Pool 1 December had relocated, in fact a record of precisely 499 were reported, being 409 Greylag and 90 Canada Geese on Glasson Marsh 5 December. All was revealed about the absence of geese from Conder Pool, when I found a similarly large number of Greylag and a lesser number of Canada Geese on Jeremy Lane.

Fieldfare Moss Lane. Howard Stockdale.

Driving along Moss Lane, a flock of around 50 Fieldfare were the second flock I've seen from a moving vehicle in the past week. I have yet to have good views of any winter thrush this winter.

 Stonechat Cockersand. Martin Jump.

At Cockersand, a pair of Stonechat were working their way along the marsh towards Crook Cottage. My best encounter by far this year was at least 2,500 Pink-footed Geese in fields between Lighthouse Cottage and Abbey Farm, but with binoculars only I found nothing 'odd' amongst them. Also in the field by Abbey Farm, up to 150 Black-tailed Godwit seen, and on a wander around, 14 Snipe took to flight out of ditches and damp areas.

As I arrived back at the Caravan Park from the circuit, things progressively got better and more exciting. First a Stonechat was on the marsh edge, then a Barn Owl flew through the gate by Lower Bank House and promptly flew back and out of sight. But best of the day - after the Stonechat - was yet to come.

Flight of Dunlin off Plover Scar. Martin Jump.

I spied a Merlin perched distant on a post in the middle of the marsh, the raptor soon took off to take out a Dunlin which it immediately dropped, at which point 2 Carrion Crow on the shore and having witnessed this, seized the opportunity to pounce and started to pluck the unfortunate Dunlin.

Thanks to Howard and Martin for their excellent images, they are much appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. 2,500 Pink Foots, Pete - flippin' heck! I believe that I have only ever seen singles of that species. I was just as gob-smacked by your header image of the scene, beautifully showing how spectacular the situation was.

    That episode with the Merlin, Dunlin and Carrion Crows must have been fascinating to watch unfold.

    Winter thrushes seem to be very thin on the ground this winter in these parts too. I was just saying to LIndsay over lunch today that I must go to a local location that has been frequented by Fieldfare in past years. When I attempted to visit that place a few weeks ago I was thwarted by the access road being flooded.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. The PFG roost just a few miles south of Lancaster on Pilling Marsh Richard, and a count of up to c.30,000 can be made occasionally. The Merlin bought about one of those magical and exciting moments that drives the love of birds for me. And I have yet to connect with anything of interest with the thrushes.

    Thanks and Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have yet to come across any significant winter thrushes this year which seems odd.
    Good the Pink Footed Geese are back in the fields at Cockersands.
    I bet that was interesting watching the Merlin and good to hear about the Barn Owl
    Trying to publish this from my iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Published from your iPhone OK and thank you Ian.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and lovelys photographs of these birds in puré Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You J.S.Vila....I clicked on the Not Spam to publish your comment on this page giving you the benefit of the doubt.

    ReplyDelete