BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Wednesday 20 December 2023

The Russian Down The Lane!

The female Pochard remains faithful to Conder Pool, and thinks it is one of the 46 Wigeon I counted with which it mingled. Also noted were 22 Tufted Duck and 6 Little Grebe, with single figure Fieldfare, Redwing, Blackbird, and 2 Song Thrush taking berries along the hedgerow, but the male Stonechat wasn't deposed from its top spot on Conder Pool....AC had seen the pair of Stonechat here earlier in the day.

Hen Harrier. Simon Hawtin.

At Cockersand, my third recent sighting of the ringtail Hen Harrier in flight over the stubble field behind Lighthouse Cottage before lost to view over Crook Cottage, almost but not quite knocking 4 Stonechat seen off their throne....Well if I'm going to keep seeing this spectacular ringtail, I'm going to keep posting the spectacular images from Simon Hawtin. 

The c.240 Whooper Swan seen had made return appearance, with 120 in the field at Clarkson's Farm where I only found one of the four Cattle Egret seen there earlier per AC, another similar number of Whooper Swan were distant around Thursland Hill.

The bunting currently reported around Plover Scar, gave me a bit of a run-around. I saw 2 Twite foraging the detritus on the scar, and gave up on the bunting, but as I went through the kissing gate, I saw a bird flying around, by the time I reached the abbey I saw it was a Snow Bunting flying off towards Plover Scar and calling, but I made a fruitless chase after the bird. My other Cockersand notes were of at least 200 Curlew in the field north of Abbey Farm, 9 Greenfinch, and 92 Pink-footed Geese over >south.

As I headed to Cockersand earlier in the afternoon, the field off Jeremy Lane, which had held large numbers of geese for a fortnight, was deserted. But when I drove back down the lane 3 hours later returning to Lancaster, there was up to 80 Greylag back in the field....is this my lucky day?


The 1st winter Russian White-fronted Goose Anser albifrons with a white facial blaze and pink bill and breeds in western Russia, had recently latched on to the large gaggle of Greylag Geese which - though noticeably smaller - it resembles. 

6 comments:

  1. A good selection of birds seen Pete, many I would love to see down here in east Kent. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Déjà vu....I'd love to see a selection of your birds too up here in Lancashire Marc.

      A Happy Christmas to you too....Pete.

      Delete
  2. Wonder where the Whooper Swans have been?
    Nice steady video of the White Fronted Goose.
    For me you can keep posting the Hen Harrier pictures they are good.
    You have seen quite a variety of birds here.
    Thanks for the update.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments as always Ian.

      Bit of a puzzle as to where the Whopper Swans disappeared to. The video of the White-fronted Goose was made in failing light, but doesn't particularly show in the result. The Hen Harrier images are in Bowland, and the Snow Bunting proved a difficult one to nail.

      A Happy Christmas Ian...Pete.

      Delete
  3. I was pleased to note that a good number of your Whooper Swans had returned, Pete. It's too long since I saw a Whooper. I enjoyed the White-front video clip.

    That 'anonymous' comment from me on your last post was just me not noticing that I hadn't selected commenting from my Google account. It seems to default to 'anonymous' these days on some peoples' blogs

    Have a great Christmas - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard....You can read my reply to Ian as yours re the swans and the goose, and no problem about the 'anonymous' comment, I now understand what happened.

    Happy Christmas....Pete.

    ReplyDelete