BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 13 September 2023

Hawker Spectacular.

When I stepped on to the canal towpath at Glasson Dock to walk the 3 mile length to Galgate, although I had a similar experience in September last year, I never really expected the spectacle that was about to unfold.

Although the weather conditions were perfect, for the first half mile I was beginning to think I had chosen the wrong day, I was seeing little if anything of what I was out to find today. But then the situation began to change, things were picking up, and I was seeing the odd dragon or two. By the time I reached Galgate 3 miles and 3 hours after the start at Glasson Dock, I had logged an impressive 112 Migrant Hawker, including 4 pairs on the wing and copulating. Other odonata seen, 24 Common Darter, and 3 Brown HawkerButterflies encountered were, 14 Large White and 8 Speckled Wood.

Red Admiral On Ivy. Pete Woodruff.

When I arrived at Galgate, another pleasant surprise came in the form of 44 Red Admiral counted on and around the Ivy before I came off the canal by the marina.

Birds of note, 2 Raven came 'honking' overhead, and a Grey Wagtail was by the lock at the canal junction.

Migrant Hawker.

Since the first sighting on 8 August, my count has totaled 188 Migrant Hawker to date, and with 18 seen last year on 28 September around the Conder/Glasson area, who knows where this years will end.

Garden Birds.

In recent days, 15 Long-tailed Tit came in procession through the garden, 5 Blue Tit and a Coal Tit formed a nice little flock, and up to 8 Red Admiral visited the Plum Tree.   

4 comments:

  1. Flippin' heck, Pete! That's an amazing dragon count. I'm relatively confident that I will not see as many Migrant Hawkers this year as you have seen in just one day. I like your header shot!

    Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard....Pleased you like the header image, but if I'm after perfection in my piks, this dragons wings look worn. I had a Migrant Hawker in my sights virtually all the time along this section of the canal....Magic!

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pete An excellent count. Regarding Red Admirals I feel it has been the best year for them I can remember in decades? Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve....Yes an excellent count indeed, and the Red Admirals exploded on the scene in their thousands I imagine.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete