BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 6 September 2023

Pool And Scar.

 
Conder Pool 4 September. Pete Woodruff.

With the recent high tides approaching near 10m, Conder Pool once again resembles a lake, and with the summer breeders having now departed, 10 Greenshank found a roost from the Lune Estuary, 2 Common Sandpiper, and a double figure number of uncounted Little Grebe, were joined by a sure sign of winters approach, with a vanguard of 2 Wigeon putting in an appearance.

A surprise was on Corricks Lane, where I saw several House Martin, one of which entered a nest at River Winds, where I had established no breeders here earlier this year. House Martin were also around the ex-cafe, where I also saw one to enter a nest hole.

Having dusted of my twitchers hat, I made haste to catch the rising tide at Cockersand, to join five birders at Plover Scar in the hope of finding some goodies.

With the sun in my monitor, I was supposed to point the camera at a Curlew Sandpiper which five pair of eyes took an hour to find. I missed the target and ended up with a few of the c.250 Dunlin and 150 Ringed Plover in the frame. The only other waders here were no more than 8 Turnstone.

As I left Cockersand, I saw a female Marsh Harrier quartering the fields....And a good time was had by all! 

4 comments:

  1. At that range, Pete, I'm not surprised that you missed getting the Curlew Sandpiper in the frame. Did you actually see it?

    Your Conder Pool photos have convinced me that it is a place that I'd like to visit, but I suspect I never will. We can't do everything that we'd like to!

    Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conder Pool looking more like a pool I see. Soon there will be Teal in the creek, Widgeon are a sign that winter is coming.
    Nice video clip all the same of the Dunlin they are always busy aren't they. I see a swallow put in a brief appearance.
    Good you saw a Marsh Harrier ay Cockersands it is a few years now since I have seen one there.

    Thanks for the update. Might not be able to comment for a week as off on my holidays.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard....You are quite right in commenting we can't be everywhere and always do the things we'd like to, I often think that way.

    I did see the Curlew Sandpiper Richard, the bird that made my day.

    Regards....Pete.

    Ian....Your comments are noted, and the Swallow in the frame for 2 secs....well spotted.

    Enjoy the hols Ian. Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pete!!! Very nice video, shot and place... Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete