BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 28 January 2009

Into the Mist.

I arrived at Conder Green this morning in sunshine and had the time
to find 25 Twite, a Greenshank, Merlin, Grey Plover, and a Reed
Bunting before the whole place disappeared into a fog. By the time
I had walked from the car park to Conder Pool, in birding terms it had
become a joke though I could just about see 2 Goldeneye and 3 Little Grebe quite close to the platform on here. But not one to throw the towel in very easily, I abandoned any idea of checking the basin or estuary at Glasson Dock and went to Cockersands where - if nothing else - I could find at close quarters through the fog, a Snow Bunting, perhaps a Shorelark or even a Black Redstart. Back to reality the male Stonechat obliged as it headed up to complete its fourth month here, also noted c.26 Linnet, 4 Reed Bunting, a 'few' Tree Sparrow were on a feeder, the Bank Houses Little Owl was in hiding again in a tree by the paddock, and a Sparrowhawk glided by over a field behind the hedge. On the shore I noted 16 Turnstone.

If anyone had asked why I called at Bodie Hill still in thick fog on the way home I'd have been hard pushed for an answer but I did see a Little Egret on the marsh here......just!

The pic of the Ringed Plover was taken at Cockersands but not today.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment