BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................PLOVER SCAR LIGHT AND BLACK COMBE OVER THE BAY PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 10 November 2009

Doing it......

......all over again.
I reckon KT wanted rid of me for the day as she kept on saying the weather was going to brighten up in the afternoon, nothing new there then so off I went to do a re-run of yesterday although the plan was to get some fresh air into my lungs on Harrisend/Hawthornthwaite but not in weather like this thanks very much.
At Conder Green just one of the 'specialities' showed today in the form of the Common Sandpiper, I gave up on counting when I reached 8 Little Grebes on the pool where there was also 3 Goldeneye. I noted at least 50 Goldfinch, 25 Chaffinch, and a Dunnock by Cafe 'd Lune.
At Glasson Dock on the Lune Estuary an adult Mediterranean Gull was - as always - a nice find, wader numbers were on an unimpressive day and in fact I committed the sin of ignoring them for once as I wanted to move on, but I did note a Little Egret with another on Colloway Marsh, also it was a change to see up to 160 Wigeon here today.
I went off to Pilling to see of there was any Swan/Geese interest but saw just 6 Whooper Swans over my head at Fluke Hall and on to Pilling Marsh, c.600 Pink-footed Geese were in a field here but the count was irrelevant as there were many more than this figure well and truly hidden in a field much further back, also many birds were mobile in this and the surrounding area all the time I spent here.
Having left Cockersands to the last I went straight to the caravan park end and eventually found the Black Redstart on the roof of Bank Houses where it remained until I left at dusk. I also noted 2 Little Egret from here and estimated at least 1,000 Wigeon between here and the lighthouse.
Thanks to David Cookson for his excellent image of the Red Kite he saw yesterday at Altcar.
By the way......the annoying lack of spaces between paragraphs - resulting in the one untidy large block - is apparently something I cannot rectify and which as I see it nobody has come up with the solution as yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment