BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 27 September 2012

Freedom!


Off Cockersands. Pete Woodruff.

I managed an escape to freedom yesterday for a few hours  - not that I achieved very much - on a much improved day weatherwise, though as the pic above shows there were some threats around whilst I was at Cockersands, birdwise not to much advantage, but.... mustn't grumble, birding throws up lots of surprises, not all of which are heart pumping but none of which are negative. 

At Conder Green having met PG, talking on the old railway bridge 2 Kingfisher flew together under the bridge and downstream towards the Conder mouth, albeit a brief one, the proverbial 'sight for sore eyes'. A few minutes later c.40 Goldfinch went overhead on their bouncing way, 3 Spotted Redshank in the creeks, and 4 Little Grebe were the only birds of note on Conder Pool which is at its highest water level ever recorded at the moment. I saw at least 12 Small Tortoiseshell here today.

If you'd have gone to Glasson Dock today to view the Lune Estuary on my recommendation as a prime birding hot-spot you would have been justified in telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, but I noted an adult Yellow-legged Gull, c.400 Golden Plover, 3 Black-tailed Godwit, and a Little Egret

There are some seriously flooded fields along Jeremy/Moss Lane and a Wheatear was noted on one but I found no evidence of any waders.

Knot Martin Jump 

I saw no Knot at Cockersands today - not a wader which frequents the area in any number - but MJ achieved this excellent image on one of his recent trips to Rossall Point, the bird loosing its breeding red underparts.

Turnstone Martin Jump

To be honest I wasn't very inspired by Cockersands today apart from the fact I was running out of time and went nowhere beyond Plover Scar, and noted c.16 Turnstone and a Little Egret. But at least 300 Wigeon off as well as on Plover Scar was evidence that winter approaches.

Thanks to MJ for the image of the Knot, and for the Turnstone, a brilliant bird to see in flight showing off its superb plumage detail as one of the finest of all our waders.

And finally....


Swallowtail. Peter Guy.

This stunning Swallowtail - the European race Papilio machaon gorganus - was photographed in Italy. The British Swallowtail - restricted to the Norfolk Broads - is the most enigmatic and largest of our butterflies....What a brilliant end to the post!

My next adventure into the world of birding won't be until next Monday at the earliest I regret to have to say.  

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful photographs, such views always enrapture. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete