BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 11 November 2014

....And A Little Snow At C'sands.

Conder Green was almost void of waders yesterdaythe tide was well up and any that had been there had done a bunk before my arrival.


Song Thrush Richard Pegler

I made the customary multi-count eventually settling for 16 Little Grebe on Conder Pool, a Great-crested Grebe was on here again, with 2 Goldeneye, a Goosander, and a Little Egret also on the pool. The circuit was a dull affair, Reed Bunting was seen, but I'm always pleased to see a Song Thrush as I did today. Note the brilliant arrowheads on the excellent portrait of the Song Thrush above....Thanks Richard, brilliant picture of a lovely bird.


Snow Bunting. Marc heath.

A conversation with a non-birder at Cockersands started by my being asked if....'I'd seen anything interesting'....to which I answered with the condensed version....'not yet but I hope to soon, it's what keeps me buzzing, never knowing what's next, I just keep looking'....a nice man who soon went on his way.


Rock Pipit. Martin Lofgren. 

It was almost high tide by the time I reached Plover Scar to find around 220 Oystercatcher and 65 Turnstone. But turning my attention to the inland edge of the scar I saw some movement to find a Rock Pipit soon followed by more movement in the corner of my eye which this time turned out to be a Snow Bunting the very bird I was looking for and the perfect example of....'never knowing what's next'....c.120 Pink-footed Geese went over south.

In the space of five minutes stood by the gate at Bank Houses horse paddock I counted 12 species, seven of which were all in the same bush, including the Little Owl for first time since 22 September, and 8 Tree Sparrow. The rest of the cast....

Goldfinch 12
Dunnock
Wren
Blue it
Great it
Blackbird 4
Robin 3
Pied Wagtail
Magpie
Black-headed Gull

A call on my mobile meant I had to leave the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock before I got the chance to set up the telescope - the light was fading fast anyway - but I did see 2 Spotted Redshank and 6 Little Egret.

Thanks to Marc the Reculver Birder and Martin at Wild Bird Gallery the images always appreciated. 

3 comments:

  1. Cant complain about that start to the week Pete :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images Pete, I love the Snow Bunting, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thrush photo from Richard!
    He had them really close when he went to the Scilly islands!

    ReplyDelete