BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK RIVER CONDER HOWARD STOCKDALE

Saturday 26 November 2016

Big Day....Follows Big Dip.

Hen Harrier Simon Hawtin

On Thursday I had the good fortune to witness the unexpected, one of the features of birding that keeps us all pressing on, though if I'm going to be honest this is one of the last places on earth I wanted to see a ringtail Hen Harrier

A perfect days birding for me, well it would be perfect wouldn't it 'cos I found 5 Stonechat on the west side of Hawthornthwaite, they were seen as 3 male and 2 female, I suspect three pairs wintering on here at the moment, though if there are, the third female escaped me....I'll be back to check this out early next year. Also on the fell, at least 17 Red Grouse, and a Kestrel perched in a tree at Cam Brow as I drove away from here.



Stonechat Martin Jump  

On the east side of Hawthornthwaite I found another pair of Stonechat wintering up here, with 6 Red Grouse, and a Wren seen, 4 Mistle Thrush were together at Marshaw.

I was running out of time and daylight, but before I did, a wander up the track by the plantation behind Tower Lodge proved fruitful, with a flock of at least 18 Long-tailed Tit accompanied by 8 Goldcrest, 2 Nuthatch, a Treecreeper, and a Coal Tit.

A rewarding visit to Bowland in my book, if I can get 7 Stonechat and a Hen Harrier as a massive bonus on the same day, that's good enough for me....A Big Day.

Thanks for the image of the Hen Harrier Simon, also thanks for the Stonechats Martin, and to Warren for the Brambling header....More excellent photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment