BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 21 February 2017

Keeping Up The Pressure.

If I was going to keep up the pressure on the Lune Estuary, yesterday wasn't the day to do it, visibility in the murky, damp, and drizzle conditions was poor to say the least, but if I said there were a few thousand waders here as illustrated when they went into the air probably due to a raptor attack, at least 4,000 were Lapwing. Most interesting because of their irregular appearances here were 3 Knototherwise I found no more than 250 Golden Plover which were difficult to see on the weed covered stones, 14 Black-tailed Godwit, a single Bar-tailed Godwit,  and saw just 4 Goldeneye today.

Of note on Conder Pool, 25 Oystercatcher had taken up here, with 20 Curlew and 9 Redshank in the wader camp, and a female Goosander and 10 Tufted Duck representing the diving ducks. In the creeks, 5 Little Grebe seen, with the Spotted Redshank and Common Sandpiper downstream towards the iron bridge.

Lapwing. Courtesy of Noushka @ 1000-Pattes         

I was about to throw in the towel, my enthusiasm had gone below the red pointer, but I was grateful for the text which alerted me to a Todd's Canada Goose (form interior) which had apparently been roaming around Norfolk before being seen on the Fylde, then found on Sunday with Pink-footed Geese at Aldcliffe Marsh. I decided to contradict my claim of not being a 'twitcher', climbed into the motor, and set off for the said marsh, only to turn coward half way there in the miserable misty damp and drizzle, aborted and pointed the bonnet towards home....I threw in the towel after all! 

Garden Birds.

We had a male Siskin in the garden on Saturday....Excellent, along with a BTO metal ringed Starling and female Chaffinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment