BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 15 February 2017

Uplands And Lowlands.

Stonechat Martin Jump

Based on my last experience with the Stonechat at Clougha on my last visit there on 5 January when I found ten birds, most of which were in an area not covered before, I was really looking forward to a return visit yesterday in the hope I could replicate, but it didn't happen, the wind was much stronger than expected once up there, and certainly not conducive to finding what I was looking for, though in a sheltered area at the start of the visit before I reached the top of Birk Bank I did find a pair of Stonechat which spurred me on, though to no avail. But whilst up here, it was good to see 2 Raven, count 22 Red Grouse, 4 Wren, and 2 Snipe flushed.

So, although I spent four hours on Clougha and across the top of Birk Bank, I abandoned upland birding earlier than was planned - I was hoping to get at least six hours in - and went off to the lowlands and Conder Green for a couple of hours, though even this idea was a badly timed one as the tide was at it's height and if it was waders I was after it wasn't looking good. Ne'r mind, the Spotted Redshank was waiting to show itself to me, and 2 Little Grebe were also in the creeks.


2nd Winter Mediterranean Gull/Black-headed Gull Jan Larsson  

When I got to Glasson Dock I soon found what turned out to be my 'Bird of the Day' in a 2nd winter Mediterranean Gull on the Lune Estuary. At least 2,500 Golden Plover and c.350 Black-tailed Godwit were below Colloway Marsh, and 10 Goldeneye drifting on the river. On the canal basin, a drake Goosander and Great-crested Grebe were of note.

Not quite the day I had hoped for, but a good excuse for posting an excellent Stonechat and Mediterranean Gull image, with thanks and much appreciation to Martin and Jan. 

1 comment: