BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Saturday 21 September 2019

The Hawker Mile.

I walked the canal towpath yesterday, a little in excess of a mile, from the basin at Glasson Dock to The Mill at Conder Green, and recorded at least 54 Migrant Hawker, including six coupled pairs, recorded as 'at least' because I probably missed more out of view behind the tall reeds along some sections of the canal, presumably this years adults, combining with migrants to cause a late summer surge in numbers, also 4 Brown Hawker, seen as two pair coupled.

Conder Pool held 3 Greenshank, 20 Little Grebe, and a Snipe, in the creeks, 2 Common Sandpiper. Two House Martin were still around River Winds, and Swallow seen around Conder Green Farm.

On the Lune Estuary, 11 Greenshank, c.960 Golden Plover, there was similar numbers of c.350 Redshank and Lapwing, and c.50 Curlew, Dunlin, and 2 Black-tailed Godwit.

Ten Long-tailed Tit worked their way through our garden this morning.


Black-eared Wheatear Oenanthe hispanica Antonio Puigg. Clik the pik

No piks for the post, but wouldn't Antonio's male Black-eared Wheatear have added a little more colour to Fluke Hall recently! 

2 comments:

  1. It seems to be a particularly good year for Migrant Hawkers, Pete. I too was out yesterday and was totally amazed at the numbers I was seeing. I estimated around 50 in a 300 metre stretch. At two locations there were tight flying groups which I estimated at around 20 each (but impossible to count) - when I say tight, I mean in an area about 10 metres across. I've never seen anything like it! Only two females detected, however, with one of them in cop.

    Take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time I reached the end of this walk along the canal, I too realised I had witnessed something at least unusual with the number of this dragonfly being seen. What you have said here, confirms a comment by another contact of mine, that this years adults are combining with genuine migrants, and numbers will maybe get bigger in the coming weeks, though I'd suggest the forecast for a downturn in the weather may play it's part in changing that.

    Thanks Richard.

    ReplyDelete