BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 20 January 2020

Long Time No See!

With little birding of late for me, comes little blogging, and with little blogging eventually comes a hole in which Birds2blog finds itself in. But n'er mind....here's a little tale to entertain and help dig it out of the hole. 

It's about a bird I found at Heysham last Wednesday after I had seen 6 Brent Geese off Knowleys Road, and a Mediterranean Gull in the field by the children's play area, where I also found a ringed Black-headed Gull.

Copyright laws and all that, mean I'm not at liberty to post details about this sighting, but something of a mystery developed, in that when I received the lifelist of this bird there were no previous records shown on the list until it was sighted at Heysham, Lancashire, observer Pete Woodruff.

Well there's no real mystery at all about all this, but it did make me scratch my head when I considered, a Black-headed Gull had been ringed in Europe in 2017, and had avoided detection for 3 years until it was first seen in the UK in January 2020....Possible Guinness Book of Records material in the 'long time no see' category I'd suggest. 
.........................................................................................................

Video with sound of the Little Ringed Plover on Conder Pool 2 July last summer, showing in part the birds feeding behaviour of foot patting to bring insects to the surface. 

VIEW FULL SCREEN WITH SPEAKERS

No comments:

Post a Comment