BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 15 March 2010

A Mundane....




....four hours allotted to my birding but Alleluia, the Kingfisher gave me an excellent if brief view this morning which I would have missed had I not turned at the precise moment I did to see it fly past the outlet/inlet to the right of the viewing platform at Conder Pool. So where did this bird find some still clear water sheltered from the frost from which to feed during the ice-age, 2 Greenshank and 2 Little Grebe were also to note on the pool which was otherwise pretty deserted, a solitary Black-tailed Godwit and Grey Plover were on what was left of the marsh at high tide.

On Moss Lane the 19 Whooper Swans remain and have been accompanied by an immature Mute Swan for the period of several days they have been in this field. At Cockersands a walk along the headland in a bloody cold stiff wind at high tide produced just 9 Eider, and at least 32 Turnstone which are always worthy of note, the Little Egret was again in the channel/ditch just north of the smartly renovated farm building.

And that was my lot on a day which never developed into anything serious mainly due to lack of time but also was never going to produce my first Wheatear anyway....or my first anything else for that matter.

And the bird at the top of the post is a Chickadee....but you already knew that didn't you! My thanks for the photograph goes to Paul Baker over there in BC Canada....thanks Paul.

2 comments:

  1. Good question re the Kingfisher Peter. I reckon it was smarter than us and went somewhere warm. I haven't seen one at CG for months

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but where was it warmer and how far did it have to travel to reach there Phil....but a good point.

    I'll look up my records for my last one at Conder Green - a long time ago - and get back on this one.

    Thanks for looking in Phil, and by the way I now know the make and colour of your new motor....nice one.

    ReplyDelete