BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................PLOVER SCAR LIGHT AND BLACK COMBE OVER THE BAY PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 17 December 2019

Conservatively....Twice!

I made two conservative estimates yesterday, the most impressive one being at least 2,500 Golden Plover in fields at Cockersand. If I assume the 820 seen earlier at Glasson hadn't joined these, I reckon I probably saw the entire Lune Estuary population of up to 3,350 Golden Plover on the day.


Redwing Moss Lane. Copyright Howard Stockdale. Clik the pik

Also impressive, I estimated up to 1,000 Fieldfare and good numbers of Redwing in a 5 hour stint around Conder Green, Glasson Dock, and the Cockersand area. A few hundred seen at and around Conder Pool and along the coastal path, and when I looked to the skies midway through the circuit at Conder Green, I probably saw 400 thrush over at one view. I was wrong to suggest the Fieldfare/Redwing had finally departed the Cockersand area in my post for last Fridays birding, birds were all over the place yesterday, and seen along Moss Lane, Slack Lane, and along the coastal path towards Bank End.

Back to the beginning, and 3 Goosander were my only notes for Conder Pool. A lone Little Grebe was in the creeks, and a Song Thrush along the coastal path was a nice relief from the winter thrushes. On the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock, 13 Goldeneye, c.820 Golden Plover, 135 Curlew, 6 Goosander, and 2 Red-breasted Merganser. On the canal basin, 4 Goldeneye and 2 Little Grebe to note.

At Cockersand, the Whooper Swan herd remain distant and uncooperative, but 4 Bewick's Swan were with 12 Whooper Swan off Slack Lane, c.350 Oystercatcher on Plover Scar at high tide, 365 Curlew was my count in fields, but large numbers of distant waders I could see inland towards Thursland Hill, means this was almost certainly an incomplete Curlew count. Ten Turnstone remain site faithful to the shingle in front of Bank Houses where I noted a Dunnock and Wren. Two Kestrel seen, and 2 Twite were off the Caravan Park entrance where I found last Fridays male Stonechat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment