BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Thursday 19 December 2019

Seeing Is Believing.

Well I thought I'd seen it all on Monday with the unprecedented numbers of winter thrushes to be seen around the Lune Estuary. But Tuesday was to be a repeat and more when I decided to do the 5 mile trek from Lancaster to Glasson Dock, and by the time I reached there I had recorded in excess of Mondays total of 1,000 winter thrushes.


Fieldfare @Pegler Birding 

Starting with the birds seen at Aldcliffe, where - by the time I reached Aldcliffe Hall Lane from Freeman's Wood - I had seen at least 200 Fieldfare and probably half that number of Redwing, a similar ratio of which continued for three hours until I reached Glasson Dock to repeat Mondays conservative total of 1,000 Fieldfare which included at least 50 seen at Conder Green. Added to this, I recorded 105 Blackbird and 2 Song Thrush along the way.

This was one of those unbelievable experiences, including the Blackbirds. I had Fieldfare and Redwing in my sights virtually all the time, seeing it was believing it. 

Back to the start, with the exception of up to 40 Teal, Freeman's Pools was quiet, a pair of Gadwall and Wigeon. I watched a Buzzard leave a tree to fly across the pool to land in a tree opposite. As I was 3/4 of the way along the top track at Aldcliffe, a Sparrowhawk flew towards me, went over my head and flew the full length of the path at little more than a metre off the ground.

Along the way, a flock of 42 Chaffinch, 25 Greenfinch, 18 Long-tailed Tit in three groups, and 12 Robin. On the canal basin at Glasson Dock, 4 Goldeneye and 3 Goosander....The bus is coming!    

2 comments:

  1. Amazing numbers of Fieldfare there, Pete. Thank you for the reminder of my own Fieldfare experience in 2018 - on a much smaller scale, but somewhat closer to home!!
    Have a great Christmas - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete! I'm glad you like my Stonechat in the snow ... I wish you a merry Christmas full of light and love ... May all your dreams come true by 2020 ... A hug ...

    ReplyDelete