BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 6 November 2022

Some You Win....Some You Lose!

Birding didn't quite pan out as I had hoped it would on Friday, the weather wasn't as good as the forecast, and the birds were generally not obliging mainly because they weren't there, though the waders at Glasson made something of a contradiction to that remark.

River Conder After The Rain. Pete Woodruff.

On arriving at Conder Green, I spent the first 20 minutes on the viewing platform sheltering from a downpour. Thanks to the late Ian Pinkerton for putting in the planning application, and thanks to FBC for the erection of the said shelter complete with roof.

Conder Pool West End Looking East. Pete Woodruff.

Hard to believe it was heaving down just 15 minutes before I took this picture, when Conder Pool was virtually void of birdlife, but a Ruff was in the creeks with 6 Greenshank.

Minutes after I arrived at Glasson Dock to look over the Lune Estuary, though I didn't pick out the culprit, I'd say it was a Peregrine Falcon put something like 4,000 waders into the skies, some of which disappeared downstream and never returned. Those that did settle again were spread far and wide, and I made no attempt to count, but initially I estimated a four figure mix of predominantly Bar-tailed Godwit and Knot, with a mid-double figure of Golden Plover, and a lower figure of Black-tailed Godwit. Also noted, 2 Avocet were at the Conder mouth, a single Snipea pair of Goosander, and 16 Little Egret. A Small Tortoiseshell was basking on the whitewashed wall at the Victoria Hotel.

On Jeremy Lane from a moving car, 10 Whooper Swan, and on Moss Lane, a Great-spotted Woodpecker flew ahead of me, and c.30 Whooper Swan I saw recently remain in the field at Clarkson's Farm.

Looking North From Cockersand. Pete Woodruff.

By the time I got to Cockersand the weather had made a nose-dive, from flat calm and sunny, to cloudy, windy, and threatening rain. Not the conditions to set off on a 2 mile hike around Cockersand with nowhere to hide....Some you win, some you lose!

The Parish Of Aldcliffe.

On a brief visit, a buck and doe Roe Deer seen amongst the trees on the perimeter of Freeman's Pools....Nice.


Thanks to Ian Mitchell for the header image of the three Avocet, still on target to winter on the Lune Estuary. 

7 comments:

  1. I reckon that there was more winning than losing going on here, Pete, and at least you got to compete! I managed to get out on Friday for the first time in over a month, and my only win was a Water Rail, with just Little Grebe, Black-headed Gull, Moorhen and Mallard in the supporting cast.

    Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for this Richard. I now know I have at least one supporter of B2B, and you're obviously sat at your computer as I am myself, you posted this 14 minutes after I published it.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I saw some of these birds on the patch, I would most certainly be winning. I think you need to chance your post header. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get what you say here Marc but, there were some birds I was hoping to find today and didn't, plus the weather conditions went from brilliant to bad as the day progressed.

    I remember you saying you had lost your mojo on one occasion recently....Same for me today, but as you say, perhaps I should change my post title.

    Thanks for the visit and comments Marc.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you saw good numbers of waders in the Lune estuary.
    Perhaps the 2 missing Avocet from Conder creek are in the estuary.

    Bet you were glad of that shelter at Conder pool.
    Nice to hear of a butterfly still active.

    Thanks for the update.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Peter.. The place is so beautiful... I hope you are well.. Happy week..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ian/Ana....Thank You, your contributions to B2B are most appreciated.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete