BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 20 November 2022

Twice Round The Block!

During the week I managed a couple of blasts through Williamson's Park and Lancaster Cemetery. This turned out to be another one of my good ideas as I was rewarded with the latest sighting of 4 Bullfinch here again, seen as two male and female. This is my fourth sighting of Bullfinch in Lancaster Cemetery since I found five on 30 October 2014, whilst noting as in Bowland, I've never found Bullfinch here during the breeding season starting late April.

Canadian Maple In Williamson's Park. Pete Woodruff.

Also of note in the park, 2 Jay, Nuthatch, Goldcrest, and Wren, 3 Coal Tit, at least 16 Blackbird, 12 Wood Pigeon, 8 Magpie, and with 6 Chaffinch on beech mast I was hoping to find a Brambling....wishful thinking!

Red Admiral 19 October. Pete Woodruff. 

On the two visits I saw 7 Red Admiral, they were seen as five in Williamson's Park, and two in Lancaster Cemetery....Have you seen the one on Ivy top left of the frame?

Pintail Anus acuta....In our recording area, the Pintail is a passage migrant and winter visitor.

The header image is of 20 Pintail>south off Plover Scar. This is significant in that I'd say it's the first record of such a number at Cockersand in many a year, I've never recorded the species here to date, and I regard the Pintail on the Lune Estuary at best scarce. In my records, 2 female on Conder Pool 25 October 2019 were the first there and not since.

Thanks to Martin Jump for his excellent record breaking image.   

3 comments:

  1. The colours in that Canadian Maple are fabulous, Pete. I hadn't seen the second Red Admiral until you pointed it out.

    Pleased to know you've had a Bullfinch 'fix'. We've not seen one in the garden for a while now. The disappearance of the female that was visiting regularly seems to have coincided with the frequent appearance of a female Sparrowhawk.

    Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also hadn’t spotted the RedAdmiral until I read your text. They are getting quite late now but the weather has been relatively mild for the time of year.
    Glad Bullfinch about again had one on my bird table a year or two ago.
    Nice to see Pintail at Plover Scar hopefully might see one there sometime.
    Thanks for the local update.

    Regards Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard/Ian....I was going to caption the Maple 'The Traffic Light Tree' but you might need to view again to appreciate why. I thought I needed to point out the Red Admiral on the Ivy. Good luck with the Pintail at Plover Scar Ian, I've yet to see my first there.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete