BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................2nd SUMMER MEDITERRANEAN GULL CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 27 November 2022

Sour Turns Sweet.

A couple of visits for some birding around the Lune Estuary - where else - soon ended on a sour note on Thursday, but not until I had found 2 Bewick's Swan with a few Whooper Swan at the north end of Jeremy Lane. In the same field, up to 850 Lapwing and 300 Curlew.

I then drove to Cockersand to find myself sitting out a downpour whilst wondering when the tap would be turned off, but it wasn't so off I went back to Lancaster....Sour!

Although the weather was much improved on Friday, birding started off sluggish, with little to note at Conder Green, so away I went to my intended destination at Cockersand. Over the years this has always been the place for me to find my first and often the last Wheatear of the year, but this one is....Ridiklus.

Wheatear Cockersand 25 November. Pete Woodruff.

On my arrival at the caravan park, a lone birder was stood by the marsh, tripod and telescope at the ready. I joined the birder - from Clitheroe apparently- we both stood, soon to be gobsmacked at the sight of a smart Wheatear....Sweet! 

What!....a Wheatear on 25 November. Initially my thoughts turned to maybe it's an Isabelline Wheatear, but after a mobile call and a few hours later, including checking photographs, Wheatear it is. This is an excellent late record beating the latest in Lancashire by 11 years on 7 November 2011.

Snow Bunting Cockersand 25 November. Paul Ellis.

At one point I was watching a Snow Bunting with the Wheatear in the same view.

Stonechat Moss Lane 25 November. Pete Woodruff.

I found 4 Stonechat on the visit, a pair along Moss Lane to the east of Abbey Farm, and a pair along Slack Lane, these four birds are noted for covering a wide foraging area. There are 3 pairs of Stonechat currently wintering at Cockersand, though I have yet to connect with the pair in the caravan park area.

A number of little more than 50 Whooper Swan seen today, are currently wintering in the Cockersand/Thurnham area, with birds in small herds spread over four fields. With the outbreak of avian flu in mind, this is worrying when compared to example figures like 620 Whooper Swan 5 years ago on 19 November 2017, and more up to date, a peak count of 243 in November 2021. 

I'm grateful to Chris Batty and Paul Ellis for help and photographs with regards to clearing up the doubts I initially had about whether it was Oenanthe isabellina or not.   

3 comments:

  1. I agree Whooper Swans seem well down this year compared to the last couple of years.
    Wheatear and Snow Bunting still there this morning, I have sent you Snow Bunting pics but not as good as the one in the blog. It was keeping well down in the vegetation.
    Good flock of Greenfinch about this morning near the horses.

    Glad your Stonechats are about but didn't see any this morning.

    Cheers Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an exceptional late record of a Wheatear, Pete, but I'd probably not have known that if you hadn't said something, and I would have got more excited about the Snow Bunting as that is a bird that I only see once in a blue moon.

    I fear that so much will be lost with this current outbreak of Avian Flu, that we're going to find an absence of some species for many years to come - fingers crossed that populations will increase again, perhaps with more resilient birds.

    Best wisahes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian/Richard....Just to say thanks for your continuing contributions on B2B, they are much appreciated, and a little proof I'm not blogging to myself!!

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete