BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 11 October 2023

Missing In Action!

Mostly missing for me around the Lune Estuary yesterday, disappointingly so....Should have gone to Specsavers! 

Little Grebe Conder Pool. Ian Mitchell.

A quick scan resulted with a count of 18 Little Grebe on Conder Pool, catching small fry like there's no tomorrow....nothing 'missing' there then. Also on the pool, a female Shoveler, interesting in itself as the species is no more than irregular here. Four Wigeon were the only other birds of note, and a Goosander in the creeks, decided to make a move and flew to the canal.


On the Lune Estuary, my best count to date of up to 600 Golden Plover, lined up on the shore below Colloway Marsh. Otherwise of note, 166 Curlew and 68 Black-tailed Godwit. I managed to pick out 3 Mediterranean Gull amongst the hordes of other mainly distant gulls.

Although as always, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Cockersand, the only notes I came away with from here were, 6 Skylark over in a move from one field to the next, and 16 Tree Sparrow at Bank Houses. 

Tree Sparrow.

Yesterdays record represented my first record at Cockersand in nearly 12 months, when I found a lone Tree Sparrow at Bank Houses on 1 December 2022, the previous record being 3 Tree Sparrow - again at Bank Houses - 12 months earlier on 14 December 2021. In my records that represents a decline of the Tree Sparrow at Cockersand.

Golden Plover.

Albeit early in the winter season, yesterdays 600 Golden Plover at Glasson is my best to date and a good record. We will have to see what happens next this winter, but in 2022 Golden Plover records in Lancashire were disappointing, my peak count was of 1,500 at Braides on 11 October 2022, and as far as I'm aware, this number wasn't exceeded anywhere else that year on the Lune Estuary. 

Important to note, the Golden Plover is scarce on the UU Bowland Estate, and no breeding was confirmed in 2022....Lancashire Bird Report 2022    

5 comments:

  1. That Little Grebe in Ian's delightful video clip seems to be playing with its catch, Pete.

    Six hundred Golden PLover sounds wonderful to me as I have not seen one yet this year.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete -
    I also saw the Tree Sparrows near Bank House Cottage a few days ago.
    Had a quick visit late this afternoon having passed you near the garden centre but no sign of any Golden Plover in the fields behind the abbey or Whoopers swans yet.
    Pleasant evening though but getting darker earlier now.

    Thanks for the update - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard/Ian....Thanks for looking in again.

    Good to hear you recently saw the Tree Sparrows at Cockersand Ian, aslo 14 Whooper Swan reported (Fylde Bird Club) in the area late afternoon....apparently.

    Regards to both....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the updates Pete. Sadly we will be closing the caravan for winter in the next 2 weeks and so my visits to Glasson will be limited. I look forward to your blogs to keep me updated with what I am missing.
    Thanks
    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly hope I can continue with posts on B2B to keep you up to date. It's a real shame I've never caught up with you in ages David.

    Kind Regards and Take Care....Pete.

    ReplyDelete