BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 15 October 2023

Two Favourites And Some Other Birds

My day was already made up when I emerged from the motor by Lighthouse Cottage, and as far as I'm concerned Cockersand delivered once again....Bring it on!


Until I set eyes on the bird perched on the bench near the Lighthouse Cottage, I could have had no idea my circuit of Cockersand was going to start with my favourite raptor the stunning little immature/female Merlin, maybe the bird I saw over Conder Pool 25 September....Three minutes after I got the footage of the Merlin, it took out a wader on Plover Scar and flew inland with the prey.  A couple of hours later, the circuit ended with my favourite passerine, a female Stonechat on Slack Lane, being the first returning bird probably set to winter here.

The walk along the headland didn't produce anything, including no Wheatear which I was hoping for. When I arrived at Bank Houses, up to 350 Black-tailed Godwit were on the shore. As I continued the walk along Moss Lane, a Common Darter flew across the road at shoulder height. 

As with my last visit to Cockersand my notes on the circuit were a bit thin, but as I approached the line of Willows along Slack Lane, I saw a small mix of around 12 Blue Tit, Great Tit, and Long-tailed Tit working their way through, and were eventually seen to have a Chiffchaff tagging along with them.

On Conder Pool, 8 Greenshank, 10 Redshank, a Goosander, 4 Wigeon and a Migrant Hawker. Four Red Admiral were seen on the day.

6 comments:

  1. Wow what a treat for you seeing the Merlin on the bench, lucky you.
    I had what I thought was going to be a couple of peaceful hours there myself this lunch time to watch the waders, but the peace was shattered by 2 of my favourite pet hates - Jet Skis!
    After they had finished their antics, bang on high tide a fisherman decided to walk out onto Plover (or lack of) Scar to complete my misery.
    There had been a few Dunlin, Ringed Plover and a Grey Plover before all this kicked off, but not many.
    I keep seeing the odd butterfly about as well.
    No Stonechat sighted but I did see a Wheatear on my way back to Lighthouse Cottage.

    Cheers - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know how you feel about the jet skis, and looks like Plover Scar is becoming a bit of a place to be for anglers which from experience never really was. Hope I'm proved wrong on this one Ian. Doesn't look like there was much for you on the scar at high tide, but that's not the point is it.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous way to start a visit, Pete! And any day that a circuit ends with a Stonechat too is a great day in my book. I was sorry to see that Ian's visit there was a less than happy one.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Merlin to start and Stonechat to end. Doesn't need to be an off course American for me Richard.

    Hope things are well with you and Lindsey.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for confirming the ID of the Merlin after it shot past us with its prey being chased by a Crow !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you last Thursday at Cockersand Martin, and hope to bump into you again probably there, it's a second home for me at times.

    Thanks for the interest and comment.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete