BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 29 October 2023

Short But Sweet!

The highlights of another spell of pleasant birding around the Lune Estuary, which started well when I found 2 Stonechat in the tall rough at the east end of Conder Pool, they were very busy, and I had feelings of three birds, but it didn't develop any further than that. Five Goosander were the only other birds to highlight here, but I did see a dragonfly too distant to ID, but a Migrant Hawker to record towards the end of October would be my bet against that of a Southern Hawker.


As I turned into Slack Lane at Cockersand, five white objects seen in the top corner of the field opposite Lighthouse Cottage, turned out to be 4 Cattle Egret in company with a Little Egret....Nice!

A walk along the headland produced a nice late October Wheatear, and looking inland from here, I found that at least 120 Whooper Swan had arrived back on their wintering grounds distant in the Thursland Hill area. When I reached the caravan park, I found the first of 2 Stonechat, one in the rough field by Lower Bank House, then the second one seen from the path to Bank End.


This was the Stonechat that can be seen and heard calling in the video which I found interesting. The alarm call is probably related to my presence, though in my experience the Stonechat never give the impression that they are agitated or alarmed by humans outside the breeding season, and certainly not during the winter period. The only other explanation would be of a ground predator around, or maybe just territorial. Incidentally, with regard to the Stonechat singing, only the male sings, and both male and female are virtually silent during the winter. 

October Chats.

It's good to see the upland Stonechat back at lowland sites, where my interest is with those around the Lune Estuary. Andrew Cornall and myself have found a total of 11 Stonechat at Conder Green/Jeremy Lane and Cockersand, I've also collected records of 85 Stonechat from 35 locations during October, predominantly from the Fylde Bird Club sightings page, where the most interesting one was of 9 Stonechat at Fairhaven Dunes 23 October.

Footnote.

I was pleased to hear, John Callion and his dedicated team in Cumbria, have ringed 160 Stonechat nestlings this year....Many Thanks for passing on to me news of this excellent achievement John & Co.   

5 comments:

  1. Great find of the Cattle Egrets, Pete, and a super bit of video. I can remember the times when it was quite unusual to see a Little Egret, then their numbers rocketed. Then Great White Egret numbers went the same way. I'm now wondering if Cattle Egret numbers are similarly going to go through the roof as they seem to be cropping up all over the place.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was good finding 4 Cattle Egret together, nice video of them as well.
    Lovely video of the Stonechat and nice to know that they and the Whooper Swans are back. There was no sign of either of them last Monday when I had a walk round, in fact there was not very much except some Golden Plover on the shore out from Crook Farm cottage.

    Thanks for the update - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard....Yes the Cattle Egret look set to follow in the footsteps of the Little Egret on the status ladder, as are maybe the Spoonbill in time too.

    Ian....The egrets, chats, and swans were an excellent little trio for me Ian.

    Thanks and Regards to both....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous shots at 4 Cattle Egrets, all together feeding. Thanks Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this Bob....Good to see you on B2B, long time no see/hear from you, but really chuffed to see you back in business after your 'unplanned time-out'.

    Kind Regards and keep well Bob....Pete.

    ReplyDelete