BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................PIED FLYCATCHER ABBEYSTEAD 24 APRIL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 26 November 2023

Chats On The Starter Menu....

....and a raptor to finish with on the sweet menu!

What a lovely sunny if cold day on Friday to find 7 Stonechat, with two found on Conder Pool, two foraging along the marsh by Cockersand Caravan Park, one on roadside fence posts Moss Lane, and two along the bulrushes behind Lighthouse Cottage. AC found the mate of my loner on Moss Lane, so proof of four pairs wintering in the Lune Estuary area.

Stonechat Moss Lane 24 November

Also noted on Conder Pool, 20 Tufted Duck, 5 Goosander, and Little Grebe.

Little Grebe Conder Pool. Ian Mitchell.

Ian Mitchell caught on camera conclusive proof the Little Grebe catch Sticklebacks like there's no tomorrow, and play with them until they can swallow head first so the spines don't snag on the throat.

On the Lune at Glasson, up to 650 Golden Plover and 620 Black-tailed Godwit which was up to half the number seen on my last visit here last Tuesday. A Raven was overhead at close range.

As I approached Cockersand along Moss Lane, a Buzzard was close by in a tree, but took offence to me and flew off as I pulled up to grab a pik. My records read, the circuit was a huge success, if only because I found 5 Stonechat here. Otherwise, just 3 Wren, 2 Meadow Pipit, and a lone Greenfinch got into my little black book.

But hey, the visit ended with a bang....As I watched a Stonechat pair foraging the marsh edge, a Hen Harrier ringtail burst onto the scene, it quartered low over the marsh 50 metres out for several minutes before I eventually lost it to view heading to Cockerham Marsh....Heck!

Thanks to Simon Hawtin for his stunning Hen Harrier header image.

Anniversary.

Wheatear Cockersand 25 November 2022. Pete Woodruff.

Twelve months yesterday since I found this little beauty on detritus at Cockersand. 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a productive day after leaving me.
    You were lucky to catch the Hen Harrier, hope it lasts longer than the other 38 that have gone missing in the news yesterday.

    Thanks for the update - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really pleased you have reacted to the Hen Harrier issue here on B2B, and made the comment about the report on Channel 4 News on Thursday evening. Pretty sure the BBC wouldn't have ventured down that road on the subject. But I'll shut up on that now, for fear of upsetting people on this matter, some of who take an interest in my blog!

      Thank You Ian.

      Delete
  2. Good to see that you're getting a regular Stonechat fix still, Pete.

    Fabulous that a Hen Harrier found you - Simon's image of one is a cracker! I'm sure that they'd be a much more common sight if the shooting fraternity would do the decent thing and give up their outdated and sadistic pastime.

    Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only takes a single Stonechat on the day to give me a fix Richard as you know. Otherwise, as my reply to you, please read my reply above to Ian.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete