BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................PIED FLYCATCHER ABBEYSTEAD 24 APRIL PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 29 November 2023

Cockersand News.

Little Owl Abbey Farm 10 November 2014. Pete Woodruff.

At Cockersand yesterday, the amazing record of a Little Owl. Amazing because this is the first record of Little Owl at Cockersand as far as I am aware since I last saw one 9 years ago.

Snow Bunting Cockersand 28 Nov. John Whittle.

Two Snow Bunting were seen off Lighthouse Cottage. Thanks to John for news and image.

1st Winter Merlin Cockersand 12 October. Ian Mitchell.

Merlin seen yesterday also at Cockersand. A female, probably the same bird seen 12 October. Thanks to Maurice for the news.

6 comments:

  1. Now I am REALLY jealous, Pete. I was just bemoaning to someone this afternoon that, having once had a list of 54 Little Owl sites and sometimes seeing double figures in a day, I've not seen a Little Owl yet this year. OK, so I don't get out nearly so much and don't feel so safe being out after dark as I used to, but it's a sad reflection on the general drastic decline of this species.

    Two Snow Bunting and a Merlin are truly icing on the cake.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reaction from you on this post was guaranteed.

    The Little Owl is regarded as a rare and declining breeder in our recording area. Quite amazing that you once had a list of 54 sites in recent history Richard.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news about the Little Owl it’s a long time since I have seen one and that was in the Trough of Bowland. On my last visit to Cockersands I was wondering if I might see a Snow Bunting sometime soon but never did, but did see a male Stonechat in the field between Slack Lane and Lighthouse Cottage. Wonder if it is the same Merlin that I got a video of?

    Thanks for the update - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your male Stonechat was one of the pair regular there at the moment Ian. I reckon the Merlin was almost certainly the bird in your video.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous image of this beautiful Little owl Pete...Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You Ana. Always appreciate your visits and comments to B2B.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete