BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Wednesday 22 November 2023

Eleven Days Later.

When I finally got out yesterday, it had been 11 days since I'd had a wander around the estuary, and in my book the day started well with the sight of a Stonechat in the east corner of Conder Pool. This looks like a bird from a possible 4 pairs set to winter in the area around the Lune Estuary....time will tell. A lone Tree Sparrow was in the hedgerow by the viewing screen.

A stunning female Kingfisher soon followed the chat to oblige and pose for a picture. If the volume in the video is full on, the winnowing call of one of 10 Little Grebe is heard towards the end prior to the Kingfisher leaving the scene.


On arriving at the bowling green to view the estuary, to be honest I was overwhelmed by the sight of up to 5,000 waders in view. Making life even more difficult, there was also a raptor - probably an undetected Peregrine Falcon - in hunting mode. Up to 2,000 Lapwing and 1,500 Black-tailed Godwit, with good numbers of Golden Plover, Curlew, Redshank, and Dunlin. A drake Goldeneye, 4 Goosander, and a Great-crested Grebe were of note, also 4 Shoveler are at best irregular here.

On the canal basin, 24 Tufted Duck and a drake Goosander seen, with not a Goldeneye in sight, a favoured location for the winter visitor.

Driving along Moss Lane with a vehicle behind, I noted c.40 Fieldfare in trees. At Cockersand, I struggled to find 3 Stonechat, two were working their way along the bulrushes in the ditch off Slack Lane, and after two visits to the rough field behind Lower Bank House, I eventually found another Stonechat. I also saw a pair of Chaffinch....Can't remember when I last saw Chaffinch at Cockersand!

Along a length of c.1/4 mile, I estimated at least 2,500 Wigeon in rafts stretching from Plover Scar to the Cocker Estuary. In a field by Abbey Farm, 130 Curlew seen. This winters peak count of 245 Whooper Swan was opposite Gardners Farm off Moss lane.

Whooper Swan Thurnham 19 Nov. Howard Stockdale.

Howard sent me the image of Whooper Swan W43C. Ringed a little over 3 months ago at Miklavatn, Skagafjorour, Iceland, 14 August 2023. Having flown 1,600km to be seen for the first time in Thurnham on 19 November....Thanks Howard, much appreciated. 

7 comments:

  1. Lovely video of the Kingfisher Pete.
    Hope to get out myself soon as I have been laid up with a winter bug but raring to go now.
    Glad there are Shoveler about as I haven't seen many around here except Leighton Moss some years back.
    Cheers Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you are 'raring to go' Ian. Friday not looking bad, maybe see you around. Thanks for comment re Kingfisher video. I rate it decent - average.

    You will notice I found the way to reply to individual comments....Talk about keeping up!!

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rate that Kingfisher clip as well-above average. Are you sure that you'vefound the way to reply to individual comments - I'd have expected replies to position themselves like this one!

      Delete
    2. Richard I think it might help if I explain. I sought help from Blogger about replying to comments individually, and was given this sequence....in settings -> scroll down to Comments -> click [Comment location] -> select [Embedded] -> Save. With this updated set-up, now the comments appear as on your own website at Peglar Birding. Hope this helps to explain.

      Thanks for your compliments re the Kingfisher video Richard.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  3. I will never cease to have my flabber gasted by the massive number of birds that you see on your outings, Pete. I think that I need to relocate to somewhere nearer the coast.

    Lovely header and bit of video of the Kingfisher.

    My very best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do get jealous looking at your weekly winter lists you get up there. Just a few of them on my patch would make the year. Keep the good work up. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just get my own back with my 'winter lists' as you call them Marc. When I view your excellent discoveries and images of dragonflies, some of which I'm never likely to ever see, I too regularly turn a sickly green.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete