BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 14 January 2024

Better Than....

....an average day at the office, and a bit of enjoyment with the camera for some piks!

Nothing to excite at Conder Pool, and the vegetation has been cut down, so no doubt goodbye to the wintering Stonechats of several weeks here.

As a bit of a contradiction to my 'nothing to excite' comment, there was a first record on Conder Pool, with a Buzzard spending a considerable time in a tree by the canal. A quick stock take produced 15 Mallard, 12 Wigeon, 10 Tufted Duck, and 9 Little Grebe. A Wren was in the hedge by the viewing platform, and a Kestrel mobbed the Buzzard when it took off, the Kestrel was in turn mobbed by a Black-headed Gull.

On the Lune Estuary at Glasson, in fading light and at a distance, a conservative estimate was of 2,500 but probably more like 3,000 Black-tailed Godwit upstream from the Conder Estuary, with up to 450 Dunlin and 300 Curlew, also 2 Goosander to note.


On the canal basin, 6 Goldeneye were all stunning drakes....Follow me!

On Jeremy Lane, an even mix of c.150 Greylag and Pink-footed Geese, with 2 Whooper Swan, c.40 Dunlin on the flood. On Moss Lane, in the field at Clarkson's Farm, 6 Bewick's Swan were with a total of 350 Whooper Swan in fields on the north and south side of Moss Lane. Also a Cattle Egret appears to have been separated from the other three present in the area since 25 October.

At Cockersand, AC alerted me to the Barn Owl disappearing out of sight towards Bank End, it soon returned with a catch in its talon's to disappear behind Bank House. Four Stonechat were seen as a pair on the marsh, and another pair along Moss Lane heading to Slack Lane. On the circuit, a Song Thrush, 220 Golden Plover, and 72 Curlew in fields.

Barn Owl at Cockersand.

On Friday as I walked along Moss Lane, AC pulled up to tell me he had seen the Barn Owl again behind Bank House. Five minutes later and only a few metres walked, l watched a Barn Owl flying towards me from the direction of Abbey Farm. It flew along at the height of the hedgerow to within a few metres of me, before veering off and on towards Bank House. 

I rang AC on Saturday to tell him about my encounter with the owl, and suggested there is now the distinct possibility of 2 Barn Owl at Cockersand. During our conversation, AC told me of 11 Bewick's Swan in fields at Jeremy and Moss Lane on Saturday, including three 1st winter birds.

Siskin.

Siskin. Mike Atkinson.

I am grateful to Mike Atkinson for the image of a male Siskin from five in his garden on Friday. Mike's garden is just around the corner from ours. 


The last Siskins we had on the feeders were a pair on 30 April 2022. Not to be expected in urban gardens in Lancaster.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Goldeneye video and what an excellent array of species you saw, quite a few would be most welcome down my way. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was inevitable the next time I saw you on B2B, I was going to wish it was more like April than January to see our first dragons of 2024. Thanks Marc.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  2. Certainly seeing more birds than me.
    On Thursday I had a hike up Langden Valley from the intake and then up on to the top of Holdren Moss, my grand total seen were 4 Red Grouse, 2 Drake Mallard, 2 Wrens and a Robin in nearly 3 hours.
    Like the Goldeneye video, I only saw 1 drake there on Saturday morning.
    Nice to see Siskin about, great shot from Mike.
    Good numbers of swans I notice.
    Thanks for the update.

    Ian Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  3. A disappointing result from your trek up the Langden Valley and Holdren Moss. According to your records, no wintering Stonechats up there then?

    Thanks Ian....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, Pete, your sightings get me drooling. I loved the Goldeneye video. I was also extremely impressed by the zoom on your camera, exhibited by the Buzzard clip. I'd be over the moon to get a Barn Owl encounter - it's been far too long since I last saw one.

    Sorry about the very late visit - life's been a bit full-on lately - not all bad, however!

    Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the visit Richard. No apologies needed for the late arrival, but to be honest I was becoming a little worried, and expected the 'life's been a bit full on lately', but pleased to see it followed by 'not all bad'.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete