BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 7 January 2024

Seventeen Days Later!

When I finally got out on Friday, it had been 17 days since my last wander around the ranch....That's depressing. What started as a snail trail, slowly built into a bit of a crescendo which culminated in another one of my successful return visits to a site covered earlier in the day.

If I was going to get the ball rolling five days late into the New Year, I had to note the routine stuff on Conder Pool to get something in the book. There was a up to 90 Mallard, 42 Teal, 9 Tufted Duck, 8 Little Grebe, a lone drake Wigeon, a Snipe and a Little Egret....Stock taking complete.

It was a day of large numbers of waders on the Lune Estuary, and in what was essentially a brief visit for me, I noted at least 1,500 Black-tailed Godwit, up to 100 Dunlin, and 120 Golden Plover. A male and female Wigeon hauled out together were marked with a green ring right leg, and metal left. Frustratingly too distant to read, they were my first ever ringed Wigeon.

I drove past Clarkson's Farm fields to see 4 Cattle Egret, almost certainly the same four I found along Slack Lane over two months ago on 25 October. As I set out on the circuit, a pair of Stonechat were on the marsh opposite the Caravan Park, they were the only two I saw on the day. In the hedge at Bank House, 15 House Sparrow, to be honest I don't recall the last time I saw this number of House Sparrow at Cockersand. Noted along Moss Lane, 9 Blackbird were within 20 metres of each other, 4 Goldfinch, a Reed Bunting and a Song Thrush.

In a field off Slack Lane, 138 Whooper Swan, were the only ones seen at or from Cockersand today.

On Plover Scar, I finally caught up with the Snow Bunting, amazingly camouflaged on the tidewrack. Arriving back at the Caravan Park, I briefly saw the Barn Owl in fields behind Bank House.

When I made what turned out to be a successful return to the Lune Estuary at Glasson, the tide was in flow and was pushing a good number of waders on to the shore. I eventually picked out a mid-distance bird with unmarked white underparts and clear cut white fore-supercilium. It was the Spotted Redshank ending my day nicely thank you very much!

8 comments:

  1. Nice header picture and video of the Snow Bunting, it always seems to be against a fussy background for me well done.
    I always enjoy seeing the swans down there.
    Glad you got to see your Spotted Redshank.

    Ian Anonymous Mitchell
    Commenting from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to receive your positive comments Ian, also good to bump into you Friday.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  2. Super header of the Snow Bunting, Pete, and I enjoyed the video too.

    For some reason unknown to me, there have been numerous reports of groups of Whooper Swan passing through our county today, so you might find you've got more there next time you look!. I've not seen one today, however.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear about the Whoopers passing through Leicestershire, and can't help wondering if there's anything significant about this?....You may prefer to reply via e-mail Richard.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the fact that you'd seen 138 Whoopers, but they are a bit of a rarity in Leicestershire - the last time I saw one in Leicestershire was in 2017. However, on 7th January there were reports at a number of places in the county of 47,3,30,16,19,15,3,26,3,20. these were mainly flyovers, but there were a few on water.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this Richard. I must check out the status of the swans in the south of the country. You will have noted on B2B, there can be in excess of 400 at Cockersand on ocassions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pete!! Lovely header of snow bunting... Very nice video... Wishing you a happy 2024... Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You for the compliment re Snow Bunting video, not as nice as your 'Nutrition and Fauna' which was excellent.

    Happy New Year Ana....Pete.

    ReplyDelete