BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 21 January 2024

Barn Owls In The Spotlight!

I'm a bit cheesed off at getting it wrong again, but in my defence I never hide behind my errors. My claim at Conder Pool on 12 January....'the vegetation has been cut down, so no doubt goodbye to the wintering Stonechats of several weeks here'....proved to be a hasty and unjustified one. 

I had excellent views of the Stonechat pair at the east end of Conder Pool. The result of the rest of the stock taking exercise was, 6 Little Grebe, 10 Canada Geese, 4 Mute Swan, and a Wren in the hedgerow. 

On the canal basin at Glasson Dock, 4 Goosander seen, and in fields off Jeremy Lane, up to 350 Pink-footed Geese, 175 Greylag, and 125 Golden Plover.

 

Best surprise whilst watching the geese, was the appearance of a Barn Owl which spent a few minutes hunting along the hedgerow around Saltcote Brow pumping station....Perhaps this was the bird seen at Conder Pool 10 November.

At Cockersand, the Barn Owl flew over my car whilst I was watching the Stonechat pair on the marsh where I saw 2 Rock Pipit, 2 Meadow Pipit, and 4 Reed Bunting. Up to 380 Whooper Swan were seen a distant north from behind the Caravan Park.

Sunderland Point from Cockersand with snow on the Lakeland Mountains. Pete Woodruff. 

The circuit was a pleasant walk and resulted in a lone Stonechat just short of the Moss and Slack Lane junction, from where I saw 3 Bewick's Swan, seen as two adult and a juvenile. Also a Snipe came up and out of a ditch, a Song Thrush and 420 Curlew were in two fields with 6 Pink-footed Geese.

 

A pity the footage of 21 Eider off Plover Scar, was taken against the light, but it was a great opportunity to see them on a calm sea. The sighting proved to be quite interesting as I was able to observe some unexpected behaviour with display not normally associated with mid-January. In my experience, the Eider is very vocal during courtship, usually silent at other times, and doesn't start to think about breeding until April....Pump up the volume to hear the Eider 'cooing/crooning'. 

Kingfisher at Cockersand.

There was a remarkable report of 2 Kingfisher flying north past Plover Scar on Wednesday 17 January. 

The Kingfisher isn't known to take to open water like an estuary, more likely to avoid it, and I'm intrigued to hear from anyone able to explain what they thought two Kingfisher were doing flying over the sea and past the lighthouse on a estuary in mid-winter? 

Barn Owl at Cockersand.

In my last post, I made the suggestion that I suspected there might be 2 Barn Owls at Cockersand. Today it seems to be common knowledge that there are indeed 2 Barn Owls here. I met five people on Wednesday who all told me of the roost here. 

I get great pleasure in sharing and reporting the Barn Owl anywhere, but don't agree with any kind of freely published information about any species of Schedule 1 birds that gives even a hint of where they might be holding territory to start breeding by early April.

Picture Gallery.


Howard Stockdale sent me an image of the long staying Snow Bunting on Plover Scar.


Ian Mitchell's image of Long-tailed Tit on his garden feeders.


Martin Jump observed some excellent aerobatics by no less than 7 Buzzard and 3 Raven over the ridge at Harrisend recently.

Thanks to Howard, Ian, and Martin for the excellent and much appreciated images which add some interest and colour to B2B. 

7 comments:

  1. What a great video of the Barn Owl and lovely picture of snow covered Lakeland fells.
    Don’t know what the Kingfishers were doing so far out at Plover scar, I have seen one flying over the sea at Hest Bank in a very bad winter but it wasn’t that far from the shore.
    Not seen any Eiders for a while at Cockersands and only the one Cattle Egret on my last visit.
    Did watch a pair of Otters (mother & young) for a while the other day late afternoon in the Lune Valley area, which was quite reassuring.
    Thanks and keep up the good work.

    Ian Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't the faintest idea what significance your sighting of Otters is in the Lune Valley, but I know a man who will, and I'll let you know.

      Thanks you for your kind words Ian....Pete.

      Delete
  2. I am very jealous of your Barn Owl sighting, Pete and that lovely video. Given the chance, I could watch Barn Owl hunting for hours and still find it exciting.

    A super shot of the Lakeland Mountains too.

    I hope that Storm Isha is not hitting you too hard - I understand that it's a bit grim on the west side of the country.

    Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this and your positive comments Richard.

      As I write this reply, Storm Isha is howling round our house like I never heard before. I reckon they played down the severity of it for the sake of 'putting the wind up us all'....That's got to be the pun of the year!

      Kind Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  3. Hello Pete
    I found your blog about Richard, the video with the owl is very nice, I don't see anything like that here.
    I'm now following your blog and will definitely stop by more often... it would be nice if you included the translator on your blog, I can't understand everything you write. Many thanks
    Greetings from Germany
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Frank....Good to see you on B2B, and pleased you promised to visit again.

    Google Translate is now installed and at the top of my sidebar on the right. You can now hopefully read comfortably in German. Thanks again for the visit, I hope you find the blog interesting in your future visits.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete