BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 22 February 2010

The Four Hour Slot.


Sandwich Tern courtesy of Brian Rafferty.

Well a Sandwich Tern may seem a little out of season today but in five weeks time you may well be looking at one somewhere in the area.

Today I squeezed in four hours birding starting with a circuit of Conder Green which was all worth while if only for the excellent views of the male Merlin hunting over the marsh, but to be honest the area was pretty quiet with none of the CG specials showing including the Common Sandpiper which has gone missing again and hasn't been seen since 4 February. On Conder Pool I noted 19 Wigeon, 6 Pochard including a female by way of a change, and 75 Tufted Duck. counted no mre than 82 Teal in the channel. Of note on the Lune Estuary, c.2,000 Bar-tailed Godwit, no more than 40 Goldeneye seen today, 4 Bewick's Swans.

Little Egret came out of a ditch again on Jeremy Lane, this bird has take a distinct liking to this area of late. On Moss Lane 19 Whooper Swan counted, and at Cockersands the circuit was quiet but I noted just 8 Eider by the lighthouse, and at the Caravan Park end the male Stonechat, 2 Song Thrush, 3 Greenfinch which has become a scarcity, and on the return via the road many Lapwings are on territory despite the cold weather, and I counted 21 Brown Hare in the best area I know for this creature.


I reckon this is the same Buzzard I saw on a fence post opposite the western end of Gulf Lane off the A588 this afternoon as seen and photographed earlier in the day by Phil Slade another one of those nice friendly Fylde birders I keep bumping into on my rounds....thanks for the pic Phil. I was more than a little disappointed in my visit here if only because I had just 30 minutes to grill up to 10,000 Pink-footed Geese before having to head off back to Lancaster but despite going through them twice as best I could I could find nothing accompanying them, 2 Little Egrets in flight below the embankment brought my short day to a close.

 
Savannah Sparrow courtesy of David Baker in BC Canada.

Paul Baker refers to this bird as the harbinger of spring....felt a long way off again today over here Paul....thanks for the pic David.

Notes.

Apparently the Black-tailed Godwit pictured in the post last Friday 'Good Birds/Poor Pics' was marked in Iceland otherwise no other details but this info is much appreciated and is an encouragement to keep looking.

I have it on good authority that no Stonechats have been seen in any of the areas - and lots of them - checked in Bowland since before Christmas. Well I hope to get up Clougha/Birk Bank tomorrow and to hell with it.....another day talking to myself! 

2 comments:

  1. Nowt wrong with talking to yourself pete! I do it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't get anybody butting in all the time or answering you back either.

    Always good to hear from you Warren.

    ReplyDelete