BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..............................................................................SCAUP CONDER POOL 5 MARCH PAUL ELLIS

Thursday 21 July 2011

Hit for six!


I gave Conder Green/GlassonDock/Cockersands a good six hours today and deserved better than I got for the effort....but enjoyed every minute of it.

Little Egret. David Cookson

With the exception of one seen from the Grisedale Hide at Leighton Moss on 10 May, I saw my first Little Egret since 1 April today, it was on Conder Pool, also on here, 7 Greenshank, a single Black-tailed Godwit, and a pair of Moorhen were feeding three young. On the circuit I counted 8 Common Sandpiper, heard a Sedge Warbler singing like it was the beginning of May, also a singing Reed Bunting, a Dunnock, House Martins still visiting nests at River Winds, and a Grey Wagtail seen was my first at Conder Green in at least two years.

Common Tern. Geoff Gradwell

At Glasson Dock on the Lune Estuary I found an Arctic Tern conveniently - though distant - at rest with 250-300 Bar-tailed Godwit and c.200 Knot, also noted a similar number of Dunlin. A Peregrine Falcon on the left over of a tree trunk on Colloway Marsh was waiting patiently to change the landscape once it took to the wing. Whilst searching for an Arctic Tern photograph I came across the above Common Tern, a rather impressive result for the effort. Thanks GG....nice one.

At Cockersands I found my second Little Egret on Plover Scar and noted at least 3 Whimbrel with others heard during the visit, also c.250 Golden Plover all appeared to be of European origin, c.250 Oystercatcher, 50 Dunlin, 74 Eider, and 5 Greenfinch were a 'must' to be noted. I saw my second 'early' returning Wheatear of the autumn here.

Gannet. David Cookson

More impressive stuff with the Little Egret and Gannet, with thanks to DC. I found a 'not too long' dead adult Gannet this afternoon on the shingle at Cockersands.

Clement. Courtesy of BTO.

Are you keeping up with Clement and Co.

1 comment: