BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..............................................................................SCAUP CONDER POOL 5 MARCH PAUL ELLIS

Thursday 28 July 2011

Pluggin' Away.


I could easily have gone into Bowland today - the plan - but I didn't quite like the sound of the weather-mans voice so decided to carry on plugging away at you know where.

Common Sandpiper. Pete Woodruff.

I managed a half decent pic of three of the 16 Common Sandpipers I counted at Conder Green today, also of note was the intriguing sight of a juvenile then five hours later on the return an adult Little-Ringed Plover, intriguing because since the bird/s arrived here in the spring I've probably only seen them about six times and not for the want of trying. The last two sightings were of an adult I took to be sitting on 13 June, then two adult and a chick seen on 20 June, now today's adult and juvenile. So, not for the first time the Conder Pool LRP's make a fool out of me....alternatively the birds today are passing through. Also noted on Conder Pool 3 Wigeon, and a Moorhen with three chicks, in the creeks a Greenshank, Grey Wagtail, and 15 Goldfinch of note.

On the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock, 2 Mediterranean Gull were both adult, c.300 Bar-tailed Godwit, a Greenshank, an Arctic Tern obliged at rest again for my third consecutive visit here, and c.150 Knot of which at least eight were in full summer plumage, I don't recall ever seeing this 'red dress' before on a Knot in my part of the world....or have I been birding with my eyes shut at times!

At Cockersands, Plover Scar was quite lively today with some estimates made, 500 Oystercatcher, 450 Golden Plover, 65 Dunlin, 8 Ringed Plover, and at least 5 Whimbrel. Off the scar, 56 Eider included three young, 24 Shelduck were all juveniles, and a single Red-breasted Merganser. Along the headland I saw 2 Wheatear, at least 50 Swallows gathering on a fence-line, and from the Caravan Park I saw a Pale-bellied Brent Goose though distant on Cockerham Marsh, and a Black Swan in the Cocker Channel.

Lesser Black-backed Gull. Pete Woodruff.

From my observations I reckon these two brutes made a failed attempt at breeding this year on Conder Pool. A bit of B+W photography which I just have the feeling has made an appearance on here once before.

Ringed Plover. Phil Slade

I have it on good authority that Ringed Plovers were seen today on Plover Scar with young....surely a first record.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see some of your photo's Pete. :-) Had one of your upland species on my patch today :-) Take a look :-)

    ReplyDelete