BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 26 August 2012

This is overdosing!


I got out birding again on Friday, this represents a total of something like 18 hours in one week and is a bit of an overdose when compared to my birding availability over the past 10 months....God, how much longer is this going to go on!

If the weather would settle down a little more I'm desperate to get off up into the uplands somewhere but I'm not up for getting soaked in the middle of nowhere. In particular I need to satisfy myself about the situation regarding the Stonechats on Clougha and Birk Bank, though the last time I checked out the area on 26 March just one pair was found, and if they had any intention of breeding up there I doubt they will have had any success given the worst summer since....when.

Red Admiral. Pete Woodruff. 

So the magnet pulled me once again to Conder Green where I decided to give this Red Admiral the 'Gold Award' for the days efforts. I can count the number of this species seen this year on one hand and it was a delight to watch this little beauty today. The birds noted here, 2 Spotted Redshank, 2 Greenshank, 4 Common Sandpiper, with a Little Grebe on Conder Pool. I heard this 'meuuw' overhead a couple of times before the penny dropped and I looked up to see the Buzzard....something to do with my 'sell by date'.


Spoonbill Colin Bushell


This Spoonbill was on Banks Marsh when it was photographed....thanks for this Colin. 

The Lune Estuary Spoonbill was seen again where I also took note of the Ruff found on Tuesday with c.500 Redshank again, also c.220 Golden Plover, and an adult Yellow-legged Gull gave excellent views across from the bowling green at Glasson Dock. By the way....one of Thursdays five Mediterranean Gulls here was ringed on the left leg, frustratingly the bird was far too far away to read the ring which appeared to be a pale blue or green....Arggggh!  

Sanderling Martin Jump 

On a relatively short visit to check out Plover Scar at Cockersands I found no Sanderling today - thanks for the photograph Martin - but noted estimates of 320 Oystercatcher, 60 Dunlin, 20 Ringed Plover, 3 Turnstone, and c.35 Linnet was a good count. I saw a single butterfly here, another species I could count on one hand this summer, a Peacock.

And finally....

Peregrine Falcon Martin Jump 

In the hope no pigeon fanciers see this (whoops), an excellent image of the juvenile Peregrine Falcon which appears to have soon 'learned the trade' with the pigeon held firmly in its talons....Thanks for the pics Martin, much appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastica captura del Halcon peregrino con su presa.Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good going Pete, keep it up :-)

    I too would like to know about the Stonchats!

    Well done on that red admiral photo, very nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isidro....good to see you here from Spain. Martin will be pleased to see your comment about the Peregrine Falcon.

    Warren....I've not 'let go' of the Stonechats and will be back with them, watch this space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great image of the red admiral Pete,I've only seen one this summer,and many thanks for showing a couple of my images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From memory I think I saw about three RA's this summer Martin.

    The thanks are all mine for allowing your images on Birds2blog.

    ReplyDelete