BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK RIVER CONDER HOWARD STOCKDALE

Tuesday 22 January 2013

Running Late!

Being a cold blooded creature - I sometimes get hot blooded though, words like Hen Harrier and gamekeeper have a particular effect on me - I was a bit sluggish this morning and it was 10.45am when I arrived at Conder Green where I found 3 Little Grebe on Conder Pool, along with 32 Wigeon, and 2 Snipe. The circuit produced a Spotted Redshank and a Greenshank, a Reed Bunting was to note, and c.120 Wigeon were down the channel towards the Conder Estuary.

I truly don't recall the last time the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock was as deserted by the birds as it was today, and I could bring myself to note nothing other than c.300 Wigeon here and a Little Egret out on Colloway Marsh. On the canal basin 2 Little Grebe were of note. Off Jeremy Lane I counted 165 Mute Swan in a field, and off Moss Lane 16 Bewick's Swan and up to 175 Whooper Swan were in the same field as seen on 15 January though the Whooper Swan number had increased by 143 in my records.

Snow Bunting. Richard Pegler.

At Cockersands I soon picked up the Snow Bunting, obliging as they are and below the path on Plover Scar. You'll need some luck to find the Snow Bunting at Cockersands numbering anything like the twelve in the photograph above....

Snow Bunting. Richard Pegler. 

....and if you find one at Cockersands looking anything like this, and carrying food to feed young, would you think of me first before you ring anyone else....please! 

I don't ever easily refer to birding as a waste of time, but today to be realistic, that's just what it was, and I struggled to note 9 Reed Bunting as a good record - I don't recall the last time I saw this number together - a Song Thrush is also a good record these days, and a Little Egret was in the same field as it was on my last visit here 15 January.

Thanks to Richard Pegler for the excellent images of the Snow Buntings....much appreciated Richard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment