BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Not A Good Idea.

I went out with my optimistic hat on today - against my better judgement as it turned out - and I may as well have left my realistic one on as I had to retreat back to Lancaster in under a couple of hours, but not until I got drenched by being out in the open on the headland at Cockersands, not a good place to be caught out in the wind and rain, and not a happy little birder having been done so....but I think I can claim my 'determined birder' badge for the effort. 


Bewick's Swans Colin Bushell  

The plan was to take a look in at Conder Pool an hour before high tide to find 2 Spotted Redshank, 4 Little Grebe, and a Goldeneye of note there, before making my way to Cockersands. On the way I pulled in to take stock of the 'swans' in a field on Jeremy Lane to find 16 Bewick's Swan and 3 Whooper Swan with the uncounted Mute Swans, these Bewick's Swans appear to be the ones from Moss Lane of late, arriving at the field on Moss Lane I counted at least 220 Whooper Swan and could see no Bewick's with them in the poor weather conditions by now. Thanks for the Bewick's Swans Colin. 


Cockersands Light Christian Thompson  

When I parked up at Cockersands I acted very uncharacteristically by starting my visit here leaving the car when it was already raining, but remembering there was every likelihood a bird found here sixteen days ago on Sunday 13 January was still going to be around I was determined to get to Plover Scar to find out if this was the case and was rewarded by a brief view of the female Snow Bunting before it flew off south. As I got back to the car 6 Snipe went up from below Crook Cottage....I'm going home now quietly screaming at the weather for ruining what could have been a good visit to Cockersands. Thanks for the Cockersands Light Christian, it didn't look anything like as impressive today as it does in your photograph with the Oystercatchers in flight.

Thanks to MJ et al - when I met them on Moss Lane - for telling me the Common Sandpiper which had evaded me at Conder Green, had been seen by them earlier in the morning.

And finally, a couple of brilliant Bowland images....


Tarnbrook Wyre. Peter Guy.

A photograph of Tarnbrook Wyre up on Tarnbrook Fell in the Forest of Bowland last Tuesday.

Shooters Hut. Peter Guy.

The abandoned shooters hut in the dramatic and angry sky over the wild Bowland landscape. Thanks Peter....Brilliant on both counts and can't wait to get back up there, sometime soon hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment