BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 18 August 2015

Birding High's And Low's.

I got off to a good start yesterday at Conder Green, when the elusive Kingfisher was waiting for me to spy it on the edge of the outlet on Conder Pool. It was soon followed by a Green Sandpiper, 2 Greenshank, 2 Common Sandpiper, 2 Little Egret, and 8 Teal, all in the creeks. Four Little Grebe were on Conder Pool, and a Reed Bunting was the only other reward for my efforts on the circuit.

Green Sandpiper Jan Larsson 

It's many a year since I saw a Green Sandpiper at Conder Green, and when I have they've always been upstream on the Conder from the A588 road-bridge. But yesterday I heard one call as it lifted off the creeks and climbed quite high to fly north.

The Spoonbill was present on the Lune Estuary, it was by the Conder mouth again. A Mediterranean Gull, 7 Black-tailed Godwit, and 14 Little Egret were the only other notes I made, though Lapwing numbers are now up to four figures.

I have to say, the visit to Cockersands was a dreary affair, and from here on the birding low's set in despite spending four hours plus in the area, including covering from Crook Farm to spend some time on Plover Scar ahead of the high tide - where I noted up to 80 Dunlin and 8 Ringed Plover - and on to Bank End where - apart from a few 'black and white' wagtails and some roosting 'large' gulls - I noted nothing. Up to 15 Goldfinch and similar Tree Sparrow were around Bank Houses horse paddock.


Buzzard. Ana Minguez @ Naturanafotos

On Moss Lane the Buzzard was seen again, and apart from several 'white' butterflies the only other one seen on the day was a Gatekeeper....What a difference a day - or two - makes. 

The Silver Y.


Silver Y. Pete Woodruff.

This appropriately named Silver Y moth found its way into our kitchen last night, I released it after I had taken a few shots of it. Probably the most common of the UK's immigrant moths, in the right conditions they can turn up in their thousands. 

Thanks to Jan and Ana for the much appreciated excellent 'clik the pik' images.

4 comments:

  1. 15 or so Tree Sparrows Pete! I've never seen one on my patch, dont dismiss them so lightly mate! LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounded great up at Condor Green, and agree with warren, don't see many Tree Sparrows about now

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Buzzard.. ;-)) I remember how cold it was.. Too!!!. Leon mountains.. :-)))

    Regards..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warren/Gary....I don't mean to put the Tree Sparrows down. I think my best record was of c.120 of them a while back now, just turned up one day out of the blue.

    Ana....You can see the snow in the background of your Buzzard image in the Leon Mountains.

    ReplyDelete