BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Saturday 22 August 2015

Cloudy, Rain Later.

My records for yesterdays birding reads....'Cloudy, rain later'.

An English Summers Day. Pete Woodruff.

I was an idiot to drive to Cockersands mid-afternoon when I could see what was about to happen with the weather, and when I arrived at the lighthouse car park this was what was heading towards me, it came down in buckets full the rest of the day....I went home!

Yellow Wagtail. Noushka Dufort @ 1000-Pattes

But hey....Earlier on the marsh and embankment at Bank End I saw at least 6 Yellow Wagtail with in excess of 100 Pied Wagtail, all of which went towards taking the sting out of the downpour which followed soon after round the corner at Cockersands.

Noted on the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock, a 3cy Mediterranean Gull, a Greenshank, 10 Little Egret, and c.35 Ringed Plover just moments after I had told a birder from Norfolk who was with me, that the species is at best unusual here....Mmmm, big mouth!

At Conder Green, I found just one Common Sandpiper in the creeks, with 3 Greenshank, c.150 Redshank, and 2 Dunlin. On Conder Pool 3 Little Grebe and the drake Wigeon.

Garden Wildlife. 

Painted Lady. Pete Woodruff.

The latest record for the garden was of a Painted Lady on our Buddleia yesterday morning.  

Clik the pik....The weather one is grim, the wagtail - thank you Noushka - and butterfly are excellent....even though the latter is one of mine!

4 comments:

  1. I dont suppose it would help to say how nice it has been here pete ?? Its all swings and round-abouts though aint it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete. Great collection of pictures as always ... Beautiful header .. Many greetings and happy week..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I'd have preferred your weather, Pete, to that I had yesterday. I was on duty at Birdfair yesterday where it was 28 degrees and humid outside, and even worse inside the marquee where I was standing - I'd have given my right arm for a seat and a cold beer!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for comments all, I appreciate them very much.

    ReplyDelete