BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Tuesday 18 June 2019

Barbondale Finally.

For several years I've gone to Barbondale around the end of April, then for three more visits during the breeding season, but unfortunately not this year. Yesterday wasn't the choicest of days, it was cloudy and with a chill in the wind, but I had it in my head to make the trip....so off I went.

The birds were almost as dull as the weather, but the sight of a stunning male Redstart, and a Spotted Flycatcher was all that was needed to lift the gloom nicely for me. Also amongst the 12 species count, a singing Garden Warbler, 6 Grey Wagtail on Barbon Beck, a Buzzard above the ridge, 6 Mistle Thrush included a juvenile, a Blue Tit with at least one young, a Great Tit, 3 Goldfinch, 2 Linnet, a Great-spotted Woodpecker, and the endless song of the Willow Warblers

Silver-ground Carpet. Pete Woodruff.


For the sake of a bit more accuracy on ID, I managed a record shot of the Silver-ground Carpet at Barbondale. A common moth throughout Britain, usually nocturnal but easily disturbed during the day.

On the way back to Lancaster, I called in to Birk Bank to see if I could find any dragonflies over the bog, what....in this weather....dream on, 2 Swift went over. On Sunday a Painted Lady was a nice find in Scotforth.

I wonder if I'll get to Barbondale again this summer....well it won't be for the lack of trying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment