BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 1 December 2008

The Beat.

Thought at one point I would see if I could
find the Great Grey Shrike at Dalton Crag.
In the end - and not for the first time - I couldn't drag myself away from 'The Beat'.

Three Spotted Redshank were at Conder Green this morning as were two Greenshank. Four Grey Plover here were - believe it or not - a record number for me, there is at least one here every winter but never more than two....strange. I only managed two Redwing here, and five Little Grebe were in the creeks for a change having usually been on the pool. A Kingfisher obliged and I always reckon if you are prepared to spend a while here you can see this bird eight visits out of ten by my reckoning. There was sixty two Goldeneye on the Lune today, the highest number by far in our recording area until someone tells me different. At least 250 Fieldfare were on Moss Lane. At Cockersands, a 1st winter male Stonechat was the star bird in my book probably the same bird seen 6 Oct and 12 Nov. Up to 3,000 Knot came down on to Plover Scar. At Bank End c.45 Twite see yesterday were here today again. There was no sign of the wintering Common Sandpiper at Conder Green, the disappointment of the day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment