BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................PLOVER SCAR LIGHT AND BLACK COMBE OVER THE BAY PETE WOODRUFF

Saturday 18 July 2009

Part Time Birding......




......and some more raptor pic's.

I could only allow myself a couple of hours today, in itself something of a change as I rarely - if ever - get out on Saturday leading a life with important matters to deal with other than birds. I established many years ago that there would never be a day when birding could be a seven day a week 'thing' for me......I wish......lucky the man who can!

At Conder Green c.250 Redshank were in the Conder channel, whilst I found just 3 Common Sandpiper here today, 2 Greenshank and a Spotted Redshank were seen, and 3 Linnet were to note on the edge of Conder Pool.. I paid two visits to the pool whilst out, one at the start and one at the finish of my couple of hours and despite viewing the pool from the only three viewpoints available void of trespass there was no sign of any LRP's. At Glasson Dock on the Lune Estuary a 2s Mediterranean Gull was excellent, and a Whimbrel was of note, at least 220 Greylag were on Colloway Marsh but others I reckon were hidden from view. I barely had time to visit Cockersands to do the place any justice but just about noticed c.14 Eider off Plover Scar when I had to leave.

I posed the question 'where are the Common Blue's' on my post yesterday and a contact has been in touch with me and informs me that he knew where some of them were on 12 June when he had counted 154 at Fleetwood Nature Park......excellent.

BR has been out and about at LM again and has achieved some more excellent images, this time of the Marsh Harrier. Well, if he's going to keep getting results like these two posted here today and allowing me to put them up on here that's exactly what I intend doing. These are two stunning images of a juvenile bird - one of fourteen this year - and the 'head on' shot of this beautiful dark brown bird with golden crown, throat, and speckled forewing is particularly brilliant. Thanks for lending some 'sparkle' to Birds2blog with your amazing photography BR.

2 comments:

  1. Pete. You are certainly not a part time birder !!! I don't know anyone who puts in as much time and effort as you do!!! ... Thanks again for comments and exposure of Marsh Harrier shots. Didn't realise that fourteen young birds had been raised this year. Keep up the good work,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too kind with your comments Brian. I actually know one or two who really do put more time and effort into bird's/birding than I do/can but its not necessary to go any further down that road. I still appreciate your contribution's to Birds2blog, and with regard to my comments to - and the exposure of - your photography I only state the obvious when I give you the credit your excellent work is entitled to.

    ReplyDelete