BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................2nd SUMMER MEDITERRANEAN GULL CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 15 April 2010

Silent Spring....


....is a book written by Rachel Carson about which perhaps I may feature sometime, but today wasn't really silent but far from 'buzzing' with activity.

Coal Tit thanks to Mark Fellowes.

Well the pic is appropriate to accompany the post as I saw just the one today on a walk from Lancaster to Glasson Dock which I decided to do as JB was unable to come with me....Thanks for the photograph Mark.

I'll do a count next time I leave home to do this walk as I noted a decent number of House Sparrows in the urban areas to Aldcliffe, there were some other counts I failed to do today having also noted good song from the Robins as I came through Haverbreaks and elsewhere. Other species I did count to Conder Green were....5 Swallow, 11 Blackbirds, 4 Wren, 2 Dunnock, 4 Long-tailed Tit, 3 Blackcap males, 6 Goldfinch, 2 Willow Warbler, a Chiffchaff, a Song Thrush, and a Coal Tit. Of particular note, a Lesser Whitethroat, and on the flood at Aldcliffe a male White Wagtail, and on Freeman's Pools, 2 Little Ringed Plover.

At Conder Green with not too much time to linger I found a Spotted Redshank, 2 Greenshank, and 4 Sand Martin over. On Conder Pool, a Little Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Little Grebe, 3 Goldeneye, and a drake Wigeon hanging on here. Butterflies seen on the route were uncounted but at least 20 Small Tortoiseshell, 2 Peacock, a Small White, and Orange Tip.

I must admit to being surprised to have seen - on a six mile walk at a snails pace - only 5 Swallows and 2 Willow Warblers today....Silent Spring....well nearly! 

And to end with you may well wonder why on earth would I want to put a picture of a bridge on a birding blog....


Well this is an old railway bridge north of the picnic site at Conder Green and I reckon its a beauty because its a bridge built in red brick, and I further reckon you'd have to travel far and wide to find another of its like, built over a railway track probably more than a hundred years ago in red brick....comments from railway historians would be most welcome.  

2 comments:

  1. Ive heard of the book 'silent spring'. very apt for my patch this spring!

    Lesser Whitethroat ? Is that early for you ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little early for the Lesser Whitethroat Warren, I'd have been less surprised if it had been maybe next Thursday rather than 15th April.

    May post something about 'Silent Spring' sometime, John F Kennedy was very interested in what Rachel Carson had to say about the use of pesticides at the time.

    ReplyDelete